Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi there I am looking for help- for three months Ive had a

Customer Question

Hi there I am looking for help- for three months I've had a discomfort on my left side - sometimes up higher in my stomach and mostly in my upper abdomen. I've been given ant-acids, gastritis meds and taken ibs tablets and nothing works. I've had blood tests and they were normal apart from one that was higher and the doctor said could be inflammation and also my platelets were lower than normal. It's constantly uncomfortable and especially when I stand with my stomach muscles relaxed - it feels swollen on that side. I don't know what else to do and it's making me anxious and depressed.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Which test was elevated that could be due to inflammation?
Do you know the result of that lab test?
Did your doctor discuss the possibility of inflammation of the bowel?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back, so will address what information is available.

I understand why your doctor would have tried medicines for IBS, as this would be the most likely cause of these symptoms, even if the medicine for IBS did not help.

However, with a blood test for inflammation that was elevated, there should be some consideration of whether there may be one of the inflammatory bowel diseases, such as Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis. Blood tests for inflammation can be elevated from inflammation anywhere in the body and is not specific to the bowel. The result of the test might be more or less suspicious for an inflammatory bowel disease, but it will typically require more advanced testing to determine whether one is present. The test that is most accurate is a colonoscopy, which will allow for inspection of the entire colon and allow for biopsies to be taken of any suspicious areas. There is a stool test that also can be used to screen for inflammatory bowel disease, but there still may need to be a colonoscopy done. This evaluation would typically be done by a Gastroenterologist.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know the exact results but I also don't have diarrhoea and I do have regular bowel movements (perhaps more towards constipation) and there hasn't been any blood or mucus. However I do feel generally unwell and the doctors are saying a referral to a gastro doctor could be the answer but will take a few weeks. It just seems to be getting slowly a bit worse- surely they should be acting on it with more urgency?
The symptoms with inflammatory bowel disease can be variable and may present with pain alone. The extent and severity of symptoms would vary according to the severity of the underlying inflammation. The level of urgency in the referral would be dependent upon the severity of symptoms, but yes, if the symptoms are more severe, then there should be more urgency.