Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

have to go to the toilet some hours after meal very loose

have to go to the toilet some hours after meal very loose excrement but not diahoeria I think feeling of fullness in stomach, resricting me to travel away from home for any lengh of time in case i get taken short. i am 85 years old, is this part of being old?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
This is not simply a part of being old, but it also is not necessarily something that is serious.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Are you having any associated symptoms?
Do you have any chronic medical problems?
Are you taking any chronic medicines?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no chronic medical symptons take only 5mg tablet for blood pressure and drops for glaucoma.up until 2 weeks ago had very good health when i started fgetting rthis feeling of pain in the stomach lower down in the stomach but once going to toilet felt relief from pain.

Which blood pressure pill are you taking?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

losartan potaasasium 50mg

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

latanaprost 005

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

still waiting for reply please

Thank you for the additional information. I'm sorry, but it takes some time to type a complete answer.

There are several issues to consider in this situation.

First, the fact that the symptoms are primarily present after a meal is non-specific. After a meal, there is a natural increase in activity of the portion of the involuntary nervous system that facilitates digestion, and if there is any condition that is increasing the tendency towards loose stools, it will cause symptoms primarily after a meal. If any of these conditions are more severe, then the loose stools may occur at other times, but the fact that it is happening primarily after a meal is non-specific.

The most common cause of loose bowel movements of short duration is a viral infection of the gut. Most viral infections of the gut only cause symptoms for a few days, but a few people will have longer symptoms. It is also true that the loose stools may persist even after the infection has resolved because the viral infection has altered the balance of the good germs in the gut. In this situation, it may help to replenish the good germs in the gut, such as by eating yoghurt with an active culture or a probiotic supplement. It also would be OK to use an over the counter medicine for loose stools, such as Imodium.

There are other common causes of loose stools. It can frequently occur in response to a change in diet, but you say that you are watching what you eat. It can occur because of conditions that alter the muscular activity of the gut, such as irritable bowel syndrome. It also can occur associated with local irritation related to diverticuli in the colon. Diverticuli in the colon become more common with age, but they typically do not cause symptoms. If they become irritated, they may cause irritating symptoms. It is also possible for them to become infected (diverticulitis), which will usually cause other symptoms suggesting infection, such as fever or more severe abdominal pain.

Lastly, any significant change in bowel habits that is not from an apparent cause should raise the question of whether colon cancer is present. This is not because colon cancer is the most likely cause of such symptoms (it is not), but because this is one of the possible symptoms that can be caused by colon cancer. Typically, testing will only be done for persistent symptoms, but should be considered if the symptoms persist.

I ask about medicines because they also can cause problems that may result in these symptoms, and while the losartan may cause diarrhea as a side effect, it will usually occur when the medicine is first started.

Therefore, at this point, it is reasonable to try yoghurt with an active culture or a probiotic supplement to see if it leads to resolution of symptoms. If the symptoms improve, then there is no reason for concern or further evaluation, but if the symptoms persist, then there should be an evaluation to consider the other possible causes noted above.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you very much you have been very helpful and i shall try imodium also my wife makes yogourt at home and occasionally I eat it but will eat it more regularly now to see how it goes.Is it alright to eat readybrek oats in the morning as i remember oats were supposed to be very good for tummy upset long ago.What is a probiotic suppl ement please? i take note of yojr comments re other possibilities of various illnesses etc.

The home made yogurt would be excellent, and there would not be a need for a probiotic is eating the yoghurt. However, the probiotic supplements are a concentrated source of the good germs, which can be a variety of forms. Yes, it would be OK to eat the oats.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.