Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I took a small amount of magic mushrooms and didnt hallucinate-just

I took a small amount of magic mushrooms and didn't hallucinate-just a generalised effect and nothing else; it felt like a slightly stronger effect that a joint has. Would this cause any permanent brain damage?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:

Some magic mushroom users may experience “flashbacks”, or hallucinogen persisting perception disorder (HPPD), which are reoccurrences of hallucinations long after ingesting it.

Taking mushrooms can cause dizziness, nausea and other stomach problems, muscle weakness, loss of appetite and numbness. These symptoms subside soon.

Under the influence of mushrooms, overall brain activity drops, particularly in certain regions that are densely connected to sensory areas of the brain.

Some studies have shown that Negative long term mental effects from extended high dosages that may include some cognitive impairment and HPPD (Hallucinogen Persisting Perceptual Disorder) and possibly some emotional liability due to effects on serotonin levels produced by the human brain. Usually temporary, these fade with cessation of use over a period of a few months.

Source:http://www.shroomery.org/8760/Are-there-long-term-effects-of-taking-hallucinogenic-mushrooms

So botXXXXX XXXXXne is that there is no approved study that prooves that magic mushrooms cause any permanent brain damage. The effects are only temporary & gets subside in days to few weeks after stopping it.

As you took only small amount of magic mushrooms and didn't hallucinate & only slight generalized effect,I do not think there is anything to worry like brain damage.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I mistakenly pushed this button. Really, what I'd like to know is would the effect on the brain be the same as say, smoking a joint-which I hardly ever do. Sorry, just hung up on the brain damage thing, whether it's temporary or permanent.

Dear Customer,
Thank you for asking follow up question.
I am happy to help you.

Yes,both smoking joint/canabis or magic mushrooms change the way the brain interprets the stimulation of serotonin neurons in the brain. this causes hallucinations, euphoria/dysphoria, and profound change in perception of reality.

Their is no study available regarding comparative studies on effect of these two on brain.

In broad terms,both have the same effect on brain.Both are hallucinogenic, making people see, hear and experience the world in a different, ‘trippy’ way. Colours may become intensified and sounds distorted.

Both may cause temporary problems, such as confusion or delusions.

Please do not forget to rate my answer as positive,as this is the only way by which we(experts) get paid for the service.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so the fact that the mushrooms felt a little stronger than a joint, doesn't mean that it caused more temporary damage?

Dear Customer,

Both have hallucinogenic properties.

Mushrooms may be slightly stronger.Sometimes people may experience psychosis or paranoiam with magic mushrooms that is believing or seeing things that aren’t really there.

Otherwise both act same in general terms in causing temporary damage,hallucinations & other effects.

I have seen that you have not rated my answer yet.Please do not forget to rate my answer as positive,as this is the only way by which we(experts) get paid for the service.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks just need to know if the strength difference between the two drugs, mean that the stronger one causes more damage-albeit temporary. This is the last thing I need to know to set my mind to rest.

Dear Customer,

If there is difference of strength,quantity of dosage & since how long one is taking it varies,the stronger one(mushroom) may cause slight more harm then a joint.

Again,there is no approved study that claims that which one-magic mushroom or joint causes more damage to brain.

So in general both causes almost same symptoms & hence both are almost equal to cause temporary symptoms or temporary damage.

Also please remember to rate my answer as positive,as this is the only way by which we(experts) get paid for the service.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Hi JA customer

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Is there anything else that I can help you out?

Let me know,
Dr.Robert