Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

WE THINK OUR SON IN LAW IS HAVING SOME SORT OF A BREAKDOWN...CRYING,LACK

Customer Question

WE THINK OUR SON IN LAW IS HAVING SOME SORT OF A BREAKDOWN...CRYING,LACK OF SELF BELIEF AND SUCH HAVING CONFESSED TO OUR DAUGHTER ABOUT A SORT OF RELATIONSHIP WITH ANOTHER WOMAN. hE IS ALREADY ON ANTI DEPRESSANTS....WHAT DO WE DO TO HELP?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this question

Does your daughter want to stay with him?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes at the moment she wants to help but we don't know how. Son inlaw says no sexual contact so daughter is agreeing to probably seek help,via councelling...but what can be done NOW. He's crying, lethargic,and doesn't want to continue with anything himself...Got good little business,2 lovely daughters aged 6 and 9 months....help!

Thank you for this reply

What exactly are you planning on doing?

This is a tough situation and they are going to have to work it out.

How exactly would you like to help?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We doing? This is why I am talking to you,the expert??? Does he need a doctor,does he need to wait until Monday to see his own G.P.....He thinks he is off later to drive 70 miles to get away for a night.....He cannot control his thoughts at present so going away isn't the answer. Does he need medical help NOW ,OR CAN IT WAIT UNTIL MONDAY WITH HIM IN THIS LOW STATE...

Thank you for this reply Ian

If you feel he is a danger to himself then yes he needs help tonight. If he could potentially hurt himself or others, I would get him to the hospital or a doctor right away

Or call someone to take him

If you don't think he is a danger then it would be okay to wait
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He said he doesn't know what he wants,but doesn't want to work for himself anymore. Is he giving up,or is this a generalisation because he is so depressed? What does it mean to his marriage and family? We all feel so helpless...

I think this is a generalization because he may have ruined his marriage

This will play out over time

I wouldn't react to strongly to this right away

This is a normal reaction to a severely stressful time. Hopefully they can work things out with professional help over time. That will be needed for sure

I would get a counselor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok,thank you......time is a great healer they say....and pills are not always the answer.

that is very true

time heals all wounds

It is better to deal with the moment than cover it up

please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it and good luck to your family
I noticed you rated ok service

I strive for excellent every time

can I help further?