Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

Pins and needles in my hands, especially at night in bed

Customer Question

Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Do you have associated symptoms like weakness or numbness at the upper limbs/ neck pain? Were any investigations done to see for the cause? Do you have any diagnosed medical condition?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Don't seem to have as much strength in my arms as I used to thought that was ageing
Expert:  Ken replied 3 years ago.
Brian,

Thank you for that additional information.

Let me explain a bit. Weakness at upper limbs along with tingling {pins and needle sensation} indicates irritation of the nerve concerned. It can be at the level of the spine or at its course. Irritation at its course can be due to diabetes or vitamin deficiency. Hormonal imbalance also needs to be looked for {thyroid to be specific}.

The spine consists of vertebrae and intervertebral discs {soft tissue cushion if I may say}. The cord or bunch of nerves in simple word passes through the spinal canal {formed by vertebral body in front and ring like posterior part around}. Any bone spur of displacement or bulge of the disc cause pressure over the cord which results in symptoms like weakness/ numbness / tingling due to nerve irritation. The nerves leave the spinal canal through small rounded openings laterally. Pinching of these nerve roots can occur at this level too.

Next step - A physical evaluation along with few investigations like blood tests/ MRI cervical spine should give us more answers.

Till than - Have balanced diet, adequate fluid/ avoid alcohol, smoking/ avoid jerks to the neck/ avoid sitting on computer for long.

Wish you well.

Best