Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181
Medical

i am currently withdrawing from bendroflumethiazide 2.5mg which

i have been taking for... Show More
i have been taking for 11 years as part of my bloodpressure medication. it is causing gout and other problems so i am to come off of it. i have been taking it on alternate days since tues this week. off wed, on thurs off fri on today. i am dizzy and a little disorientated also my ankles which were already swollen(gout attack) are as i expected still swollen. will this diziness last and if so how long? will i get more problems trying to stop this evil stuff?
Show Less
replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

does your doctor know you are tapering off of it?

Dr. David :

what has your blood pressure been?

Dr. David :

this medication can cause low potassium and low sodium levels. have you had your electrolytes checked with blood work?

Dr. David :

are you taking medications to prevent gout? like allopurinol?

Customer:

blood was taken on monday and results were ok. blood pressure has been fine . not checked again til next week. no meds yet as another blood test has to be done on monday. doctor told me what to to to come off the meds.

Dr. David :

that is good your doctor is advising you how to come off of this.

Dr. David :

that is good that your blood pressure and blood tests have been fine.

Dr. David :

medications like allopurinol can help prevent more gout attacks

Dr. David :

also changing your diet and avoiding alcohol and fatty foods can help decrease risks for gout attacks as well.

Dr. David :

I don't think coming off of the bendroflumethiazide is causing your gout attacks.

Customer:

i know about the allopurinol. blood test is to confirm gout before i take it. im worried about these side effects im experiencing

Dr. David :

gout happens when there is too much uric acid in your system

Dr. David :

and uric acid crystals gets deposited in your joints

Customer:

i know that its TAKING the stuff that is causing the problems. i am aware of the gout and how it goes.

Dr. David :

well, hopefully when you come off of the bendromethiazide, your symptoms will get better.

Customer:

its the side effects, their duration and if they will worsen that worry me. my dizzinness. thanks Dr

Dr. David :

the dizziness can be part of your body adjusting its blood pressure as you come off of a new blood pressure medication.

Dr. David :

if your blood pressure is stable and normal that is good

Dr. David :

do you have a history of excessive anxiety? this can cause dizziness as well.

Customer:

the question i was asking was i am experiencing . its not a new med ive been on it for 11 years and it has caused this gout now. i also realixze that other problems were also caused by it. i have no history of anxiety ever.

Customer:

sorry i was asking about the withdrawal symptoms how long will they last? will they worsten? thanks

Dr. David :

if you have been on this diuretic for 11 years, it can take some time for your body to adjust.

Dr. David :

it would take several weeks to taper off of the medication and for your body to adjust its blood pressure without it.

Dr. David :

it could take several weeks for the withdraw symptoms to go away.

Dr. David :

maybe even 4-8 weeks possibly.

Customer:

will they worsten?

Customer:

im not really getting to the answer to my question

Dr. David :

they shouldn't worsen.

Dr. David :

they should get better with time.

Dr. David :

why did you rate poor service?

Dr. David :

hello?

Customer: Thank you. I accidentally touched the rating thing. With apologies I will rate you now.