Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

If I get an itch my left ear makes a loud rumbling noise. Have

Customer Question

If I get an itch my left ear makes a loud rumbling noise. Have had this all of my life and just interested to know what causes it.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Can you please clarify that do you get this noise if you get an itch in ear or at any body part? Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

An itch anywhere on my body will cause the noise in my ear. Sometimes coming into contact with hot water such as when taking a bath will trigger it too. There's no associated pain but I can often feel when it's going to happen. It's not a background sounding noise as with tinnitus ringing, it's loud.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem and sorry about the delay. I am an ENT specialist and know what you are talking about. The cause for this can be lax small bones in your ear or flaccid ear drum. This is the only explanation that can be given for such problem because it is not something common. The other and more likely cause for this can be anxiety. You should see an ENT specialist and should get Tympanogram and audiogram to assess that what is the cause and what can be done. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, doctor.

I visited my local GP when I was around 4 and he was stumped at the time and suggested it may be some hypersensitive nerve.

Any idea why this noise would happen only when I get an itch if it's some bone or ear drum issue? And will this cause me any issues as time goes on? My hearing is fine and I've never experienced any pain, so - although it's annoying - I would likely not seek any treatment unless there's a chance it will cause me problems in the future.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
You are most welcome. There is no such thing as hypertensive nerve. I have shared with you the possible causes but as i said they are also least likely but just possible. What you have is a very rare problem and i personally think that anxiety is more likely to its cause. I may not be able to give you exact cause without examining and investigating you but i can assure you with 100% confidence that there is nothing serious behind this and you are not going to have any impact on your hearing or any trouble later in your life because of this. So please don't stress yourself. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to go on! I really appreciate your responses :)

I forgot to mention that a few months back I did a general search 'rumbling noise in ear' and found articles relating to the tensor tympani (?) muscle. Could it be something as simple as this?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. Yes that muscle is attached to small bones of ears and it move the ear bones. That is why I mentioned the possible cause to be bone related. These bones are called ossicles. Any problem with them can be picked by tympanometry test. Thank you for your appreciation. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.