Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Hi My mum has been unwell now for over 8 months, she started

My mum has been unwell now for over 8 months, she started with a cough that sounded like a smokers cough although she has never smoked in her life, but my father was a heavy smoker, she has diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol which is all being treated. She has lost approximately 35 kilos in the last few months. She has the following symptoms: Cough that causes her to choke and then start sneezing, difficulty swallowing, can not stand up straight to walk and can not walk without the use of a walker frame, holds her right arm on the top of her leg when she does try to walk unaided, is extremely tired all time time, has difficulty talking her voice fades to nothing and her speech becomes very slurred, her mind is still active but sometimes she will just drift off and look into space, the doctors have performed every test and she has had an MRI of the brain which has shown that she may have suffered a minor stroke, my mum is starting to give up as after 5 months of extensive tests we still have no idea of what is wrong or what we can do to help her, mu mum is only 72 years old and up until 8 months ago was leading a full and productive life including still working in employment. My mum has suffered a lot of stress over the last 10 years but has always been a very strong person who is now helpless. We are desperate to try and get a diagnoses as much for us to be able to help her and also for her to get some answers and find out what is wrong.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Dr. Phil, MD :

please enter chat

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi there. I'm Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil, MD :

Can I ask your first name?

Customer:

Maree

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi Maree

Dr. Phil, MD :

Nice to meet you

Dr. Phil, MD :

I'm sorry to hear about your mum

Dr. Phil, MD :

Has she had a scope to look into the lungs called a bronchoscopy?

Customer:

I'm not sure, her own doctor performed just about every blood test and then referred her to a neurologist, they have said there is no cancer present , no tumors or aneurisms.

Dr. Phil, MD :

okay could it be depression?

Dr. Phil, MD :

hello?

Customer:

She has a wonderful husband and was living a full life before she got this cough, she has been through a lot of turmoil in the last 10 years my brother went to jail for a white collar crime and she dealt with all of that her mum died three years ago and one of my other brothers and his wife separated a few years ago so she has been involved in helping them with all their issues, but I'm no expert on depression

Dr. Phil, MD :

maybe it all built up and she couldn't take it anymore

Dr. Phil, MD :

did anyone try meds for depression?

Customer:

No it has never been mentioned, but would that cause the choking? We saw the neurologist on Friday and he said that there were white something on the brain MRI which suggests she may have had a minor stroke?

Dr. Phil, MD :

possibly but that wouldn't cause weight loss

Dr. Phil, MD :

maybe the choking is just a coincidence?

Dr. Phil, MD :

There are very few things that can cause that much weight loss

Dr. Phil, MD :

cancer and severe depression

Dr. Phil, MD :

are a couple of them

Dr. Phil, MD :

perhaps making sure there is no hormone problem as well like thyroid, adrenal problem, etc

Customer:

They have ruled out any type of cancer, would she still have hormone problems at her age and if it is depression what can we do to help her, I will check with her doctor if the have checked the thyroid and adrenal and also the bronchoscope.

Dr. Phil, MD :

hormone like thyroid and adrenal I meant

Dr. Phil, MD :

yes these can happen at any age

Dr. Phil, MD :

I would use mirtazapine at night.

Dr. Phil, MD :

It is miraculous for depression and weight loss.

Dr. Phil, MD :

causes weight gain

Customer:

Ok will mention this to her doctor.

Dr. Phil, MD :

sounds like a plan

Dr. Phil, MD :

at the very least it will help with weight gain so its worth a try

Dr. Phil, MD :

Did I do good work for you today Maree?

Customer:

Yes Thankyou

Dr. Phil, MD :

you're welcome :)

Dr. Phil, MD :

would you be so kind as to rate positive?

Dr. Phil, MD :

before exiting that is

I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)