Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have about five painful lumps that came up in my right armpit

Customer Question

I have about five painful lumps that came up in my right armpit two days ago-are they anything to worry about.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Hasan :

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

Dr. Hasan :

Do you have fever?

Dr. Hasan :

If yes how high?

Customer:

No fever at all

Dr. Hasan :

Do you have flu like symptoms?

Dr. Hasan :

Any pain in breasts or abdomen?

Customer:

Do not feel poorly but I believe it is swelling of the lymph nodes

Dr. Hasan :

Yes that is what i am thinking.

Dr. Hasan :

Have you tried any pain killer?

Dr. Hasan :

Any diagnosed medical problem?

Customer:

I recently had a diagnosis in my left breast which turned out to be chronic inflamed fibrous breast tissue but no cancer found

Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for your input.

Dr. Hasan :

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

Dr. Hasan :

The painful lumps you have are most likely the inflamed lymph nodes secondary to some viral infection.

Dr. Hasan :

The other possibility can be of hair follicle infection.

Dr. Hasan :

If you are worried that this can be related to anything serious like cancer, i reassure you that it can't be because cancerous nodes are never painful.

Dr. Hasan :

Right now you just need to take OTC tab aleve twice daily and see they go down.

Dr. Hasan :

If you develop fever more than 101 then see your doctor or see him if they persist.

Dr. Hasan :

But hopefully you will feel better soon and no need to worry for sure.

Dr. Hasan :

Any question please?

Customer:

what is a otc tab

Dr. Hasan :

Oh sorry.

Dr. Hasan :

OTC means over the counter.

Dr. Hasan :

you can get tablet from pharmacy without any doctors prescription.

Customer:

Actually I went to the walk in centre and they gave me flucloxacillin antibiotics to take but I am still worried and needed a second opinion.

Dr. Hasan :

That was great if you are already taking antibiotics but if you are worried about cancer, i assure you and give you my words that painful nodes are never cancerous.

Dr. Hasan :

So please don't stress yourself.

Customer:

Thank you doctor that makes me feel better. How long will these antibiotics take to start working

Dr. Hasan :

For how long you have taken them so far.

Customer:

This will be my second day

Dr. Hasan :

It will take around 4 to 5 days.

Dr. Hasan :

Take tab aleve or advil with it for relief of pain.

Dr. Hasan :

You will be fine very soon.

Dr. Hasan :

:)

Dr. Hasan :

At second day it is not wise to expect a response.

Customer:

what is advil

Dr. Hasan :

It is ibuprofen tablet.

Dr. Hasan :

Are you taking any pain killer tablet?

Customer:

cannot take ibuprofen because of other tablets I am taking. Is co codanol ok

Dr. Hasan :

yes co comadol is perfect.

Dr. Hasan :

Do take it.

Customer:

Thankyou for your help as I am so worried

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome. You don't need to worry, i assure you with 100% confidence. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have just noticed more lumps in my left armpit which do not hurt at present

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Anne thanks for getting back to me. If they are swollen along with other nodes which are painful, they don't indicate cancer. The short duration of the lumps also indicate that they can't be cancerous. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so can you get swollen nodes in both armpits at the same time with one side hurting and the other not

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Anne yes it is fairly possible. Specially here is fact that I should mention that if you have nodes in both armpits then rest assured that cancer is not possible at all. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so do I need to worry and will both sides clear up with antibiotics and if not what would the next step be

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Yes you don't need to worry. They will clear soon. If not you must see doctor to get blood tests to see if it's viral because viral infections can take even two weeks to go away. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.