Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My shoulder and right arm is painful especially when I try

My shoulder and right arm is painful especially when I try to lift my arm above shoulder level . What do you think it might be ?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Any injury to the shoulder?

how long have you had this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

II did injure my shoulder in '89 in a car accident and have had problems with strength in arm and wrist from time to time. Right now I really want to start golfing again after all these years. I stopped because I needed to protect my shoulder and arm to earn a living. I also have become very round shouldered so I am attempting to improve my posture as well at present.

Give me a hopeful answer please.

Thanks Elizabeth for this reply

Actually this is most likely a rotator cuff injury and adhesive capsulitis.

So at some point you injured the shoulder and developed subsequent limited range of motion

This should be treatable with physio and a cortisone shot into the shoulder. See your GP for this
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had various courses of Physio over the years and being honest it took x amount of time and minding/protecting it to get rid of the pain/discomfort. I had Steroid injections after the accident and if I remember correctly they first injection gave relief for a week the 2nd for 2 weeks etc. till i had 6 monthly shots and it faded eventually.

If I went for steroid injections again could i expect it to clear away for good ? Would using it gingerly/carefully help it with the injections? How long a course is average ? Is it a cure or a way to ease the discomfort ?

yes, you could expect it with good physio as well

No using it gingerly wouldn't help. You want to move it in the areas that hurts

The average course is 1-2 months

Pain medicines like ibuprofen can help ease the pain. Make sure your GP approves of these. Some people cannot take them
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for that. i will make an appointment with my GP straight away and get started on this course of treatment.

you're welcome :)

Please don't forget a positive rating for me.

I appreciate it.
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)