Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My leg is a little painfull and Ive pins and needles also

Customer Question

My leg is a little painfull and I've pins and needles also it also feels hot is this worring I've also varacus veins in the same leg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--how long has this been going on and have you ever had it before? Any swelling or change in skin color?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi no swelling or colour change just started tonight

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
And hot to the touch or it just feels hot Christina? Where exactly are the pins and needles and do you have any medical conditions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hot to touch the pins and needles are around my knee area and iv no known medical conditions iv just got v veins on the same leg

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Christina. I'm a bit concerned here. Even though you may not be noticing any swelling, without any redness this wouldn't be something like cellulitis and it could be a deep venous thrombosis--a clot in a deep leg vein--and there may be swelling soon. For that reason I strongly suggest you call your doctor or go to the ER for a venous Doppler study because if it is a DVT it could cause a life threatening pulmonary embolus if not treated with blood thinners. The other possibility would be a pinched nerve either at the level of the knee or in your lower spine. I'm sorry to seem like an alarmist here but the safest thing you can do is to get this evaluated as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok is this life threatening and should I go immediately to see a doc

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
It can be so the sooner the better Christina
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thank you for your help

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure but please be sure to let me know how it goes for you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I really cant get this seen to till morning as iv two kids fast asleep so hopefully it'll b ok till then yeah il let ya know how I get on

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
This morning will likely be soon enough.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This just happened after I cracked my back when I was going to lay down in bed iv always had bed circulation in both my legs and my feet swell if I wear high heels

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
It could be a pinched nerve but we just can't be sure so get it checked in the morning
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi what's the chances I couldn't have MS a few family members have it with the symptoms im experiencing im getting worried I may have it also

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Christina--has anything like this ever happened before?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yeah I get pains in my legs and pins and needles also I feel tired and dizzy most of the time and find it hard to concentrate and I also get pin and needles in my face and hands.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
And how long do those episodes last?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The tiredness and dizziness is there most of the time and the pins and needles come and go.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
And has your doctor evaluated all this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I haven't been to a doctor yet

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--the leg thing doesn't sound at all like MS but the other parts could be from low thyroid or low cortisol levels so those need to be checked but I don't see MS in what you've said
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure