Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I get honeymoon cystitis my doctor sent me too a urologist

Customer Question

I get honeymoon cystitis my doctor sent me too a urologist who put me on a profolactic antibiotic at nght im worried its a gynae problem or infection I have no symtoms to indicate this

0000
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
What evaluation has been done for this problem?
When was the last time that you had cystitis?
What symptoms were present?
If you are not having symptoms of a Gyn infection, what is causing the concern that you are having a Gyn infection?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been suffering this for years ten yrs ago i got pyelnepritis and recurrent utis i had symtoms every time i was with my now husband . I went and had cystoscopy mri ultrasound and other tests as a day case all clear i had a smear and swab for clamydia all clear it got better .i had 3 healthy children. It never went away but was controllable till last year when my gp gave me antiobiotic atnight now if i stop that i immediately get a uti .no one will tell me why its happening and thats why i worry i might have a infection that is symtom free and causing it ive tried everythig natural

Thank you for the additional information.

There is no reason for you to be concerned about a Gyn infection.

First, it is typically not an issue for women that have recurrent UTIs. The germs that cause UTIs are typically not harboured by the female genital tract. These germs actually are harboured by the anus and rectum and can be spread to the skin around the opening of the urethra. The fact that sexual activity tends to precipitate a UTI is not because a germ is transferred from the female genital tract to the urinary tract; it appears that the sexual activity is causing manipulation of the urethra that lies immediately in front of the vagina, so that a germ can more easily travel up the urethra from the external skin.

If there were a Gyn infection, then it would have caused symptoms by now. And if there were a germ harboured by the female genital tract, it would not be a source of the germ for a UTI.

It appears that you have had the proper evaluation to identify any underlying cause of these recurrent UTIs. It is true that some women get recurrent UTIs and no particular underlying cause can be identified, so it can be said that it is the way you are.

It is appropriate to follow lifestyle interventions to try to avoid UTIs, such as drinking plenty of water, emptying the bladder after sex, and good hygiene to minimize the risk of transferring germs from the skin around the anus to the skin around the urethra. Another intervention to consider would be D-mannose, but you may have already tried this if you have tried natural interventions.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you i was worried it might be an undiagnosed sexually transmitted disease are you saying it does not indicate this

It definitely would not indicate this, as no STD will cause a true bacterial UTI. It is true that chlamydia can cause a urethritis, but you are getting far more than a urethritis and you have been checked for chlamydia. So, there is no reason for concern about an STD or other Gyn infection.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much great service

You're welcome. I'm glad I could be of assistance.