Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hello there, i wanted to discuss my issues im so scared of

Customer Question

Hello there, i wanted to discuss my issues im so scared of how i feel. I feel spacey, not real and just so out of it and im so so scared.

Please help
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--can you tell me more about what's going on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I feel really spaced out and convinced im going to die
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Nat but you need to tell me more besides saying you're spaced out. How long has this been going on and what exactly is going on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, ive felt like this for 8 weeks. Ive been to my gp and they have given my blood tests including thyroid, liver function, kidney function, full blood count. Also done my blood pressure which was fine. Checked behind my eyes which was fine and did some balance tests which were fine.

They have said its anxiety and given me sertraline but i just cant believe i could feel this awful from anxiety
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I understand Nat but please expand on how you're feeling
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I feel scared really low like i cant do anything. The only symptom ive got is they spacey, unreal (not there) feeling in my head. Theres no other symptoms just that one. Thats exactly how i feel
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
So do you feel like something terrible is about to happen? Did you have an MRI of the brain and your thyroid functions checked?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yeh i feel like im going to die all the time, ive had my thyroid function checked but not an mri of the brain. What would thid be needed for?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well, before we chalk this up to just extreme anxiety--which it may be--other possibilities need to be checked. While I don't think you have a brain tumor or something serious like that going on, I would get the MRI. I would also check your cortisol levels and get an EEG to look for a non-convulsive seizure problem. Anxiety attacks like this can hit someone out of the blue but if that's finally considered as the problem I would have you see a psychiatrist for a full evaluation and consideration of what medication would be best for you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Im so scared, do you think im dying?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No--you aren't dying but that feeling is very common with severe anxiety. I hope at least my saying that will help ease the feeling you have
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Im so convinced, my gp has told me that is what it is but i just cant believe it. Would something have come up on the blood tests if there was anything serious?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes for the most part anything really serious would have shown up on the blood work. I know it's hard to believe this could just be severe anxiety but for those who have it I tell them it isn't your fault you think you're going to die and it isn't easy to convince yourself you aren't
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This spacey feeling is so extreme and im so sure im dying. Not to be rude but how do you know im not? I feel so hopeless
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
With normal vital signs and a normal physical exam there isn't anything at all to indicate you're dying and I've seen this many times with my patients in the same situation. My saying you aren't dying alone doesn't help much, I know, but if you were my patient I wouldn't be at all worried that you were about to die
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I cant get comfortable anywhere, even sitting on the sofa im on edge thinking im going to die. Would there be more symptoms if i was dying?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
I wish to discuss my issue a bit further
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Please answer, i need further help with this
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Sorry--I was off. To be clear here--no symptoms other than your thoughts?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yeh no other symptoms except spacey and feelings of unreality
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
And before this began you never had anything like this before? Does this start from the moment you wake up in the morning?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ive had similar things since i was 13 on and off but seems worse this time. Yeh its there 24/7
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Nat. So when I told you you aren't going to die--that didn't help at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I still think im going to, its because of this unreal feeling. I feel like im not in the world properly. Just not completely here
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
How are you doing with life right now--work, family, etc? Are you sleeping?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Im not sleeping to great. Im not at work due to this im on the sick but just feel like my whole life is falling apart and im never going to feel ok again.

Would there be other symptoms if i was dying?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well so far you haven't given me any physical symptoms at all like maybe chest pain, difficulty breathing, extreme physical weakness. Does your doctor realize how bad this is for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is the spacey unreal feeling not physical? It feels physical to me. Yeh ive been back today. They just keep saying its anxiety
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well can you better describe the spacey feeling?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Its so hard to describe, its like im sitting on the sofa and im not really here. Im speaking to people its like theres a barrier up infront of me.

Its sort of like a drunk feeling?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
But no problem with your vision or your hearing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, no problems with that
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Nat, just to be clear here, before now you've had no medical problems/conditions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Nope never ever, nothing physical
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--all I can say is that it could be a cardiac arrythmia problem but that should have been picked up by your doctor and if you haven't had an EKG I'd get one. That still isn't a deadly condition, though. Otherwise I think you need an immediate psychiatric referral even if your doctor thinks he can treat you for this himself. I am very serious that I have had patients with your problem and many of them find it very, very hard to accept that the problem might be purely psychological
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is that problem? The doctor did do a full check of me. Yeh your right, i just feel so terrible. Can anxiety really make you feel like that
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My doctor did check my heart rate etc when i was there
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Something like atrial flutter or atrial fibrillation but I don't think that's very likely Yes, severe anxiety and something called dysthymia and obsessive compulsive disorder can all make one think that death is imminent. And in the beginning the patient can't convince himself that he only is thinking that and there's nothing physically wrong
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Could it make me have this spacey ( not there feeling) like i cant do anything. Even things as simple as cleaning or cooking tea?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes--it can be so overwhelming that one can't concentrate or do even simple daily activities. I've had some patients that just sit in a chair or lie in a bed and hardly can do anything physical
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Its horrific im only 26 and cant do anything. I dont even feel comfortable in bed or anywhere.

What can i do to reduce this spaciness?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
You can try exercises--even just a brisk walk. A hot bath. Be with friends or family and let them know how you're feeling.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yeh all my family and friends know. I still feel alone tho because i feel like im just not there do people just dont feel real
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I understand Nat but is there anything more I can tell you about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The sertraline im on will this work? And should i trust my doctor?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
What dosage and how long have you been on it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was on 50mg for 3 weeks and have now been on 100mg for just over a week
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
And the 50 did nothing at all for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No nothing at all felt worse if anything
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well the increase may take another week to kick in but I might consider switching you to Effexor as it can be much more effective. While I can't say you should distrust your doctor at this point I think you definitely need to see a psychiatrist for this
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would that help the spacey feeling?
If that would just go id be fine
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes it should help since you do need that kind of medication but it would seem you need the switch. Nat, there really isn't much more I can say to you on this so I'd like to ask you rate my service to you and let me know exactly how it goes for you after this
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have have revisited gp today who have given me propananol (beta blocker) they are adament its anxiety thats causing me to feel so spacey and like im dying. Could they have missed anything?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Did you discuss with your GP the fact that you are fairly certain there is something physically wrong and if so what did he say?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yeh i said i think im dying they said that its coming from my anxiety and ive had all the blood tests, balance tests and checks behind my eyes etc so if there were any problems it would of been found
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Does he know how incapacitating this is for you Nat? Did you mention a psychiatrist?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yeh they are aware. They have already referred me but got to wait for it. Do you really think this is anxiety?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I'm sure it's anxiety Nat although I know how hard it is for you to believe that's all it is. The propranolol may help for now until you can see the psychiatrist so try your best to hang in there
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thankyou dr. Is the doctor right? Would any problems have showed up on the tests? Its so overwhelming this spaciness i sort of feel like im half dead and a little bit of me is left here just clinging onto life
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes--your doctor is right--you've had all the testing needed to prove this isn't physical Nat
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX no other tests i should of had? Its so hard to deal with it. You promise this will get better?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes you will get better in time and you don't need any more tests Nat
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thankyou, i really hope so. All i want is my life back and to feel like myself. I wish i could just stop feeling like im dying
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
You aren't dying Nat but let me know how it goes on a new page later
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you think i have a brain tumour?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No--your symptoms don't come anywhere near indicating that. Nat, we need to close this page with another rating from you and then if you need me again you can open a new question page
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was speaking to another expert on here and they said my symptoms could indicate a brain tumour. Is that true?