DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have diagnosed with diabetes by my GP. I am currently taking

I have diagnosed with diabetes by my GP. I am currently taking Metformin 500mg twice a day.As i understand it that my pancreas is not supplying insulin. I once read that my pancreas might be dormant. Is it possible that it can be awaken and how. Can you please help?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
No this is not really correct.
It is not that you don't have insulin, but that your cells are resistant to the insulin you have.
What is your height and weight currently?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Height: 6ft. 5ins

Weight: 13Stones

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
You are not over weight
So you might have the type of adult onset diabetes that is part autoimmune, so it is not simply insulin resistance but a combination of immune damage to the pancreas and insulin resistance.

There is no way medically to "awaken" the pancreas.

However, the same maneuvers that help reverse type 2 diabetes will still help you minimize your medication needs.

This is mainly diet.

However, that diet has changed and become refined based on recent evidence.

It can be found in its entirely in the book, An End to Diabetes, by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, which you can find on his site or in most bookstores [see drfuhrman.com].

This will not "awaken" your pancreas, but will reduce autoimmunity and help optimize its function.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [click reply to expert].
Please to not forget a positive rating.