DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am 47 years old and have for 15 months had a problem with

Customer Question

I am 47 years old and have for 15 months had a problem with my left knee after a very minor fall, when I stood up I had server pain to the front and inside of my knee, I rested it for two weeks over Christmas and went back to work but it never felt 100%, then again at the beginning of December over a couple of days the pain built up to a point where I was taken to hospital by My employer, x-rays where taken I was told there was no viable sign of damage but see my G.P. and get a referral to a specialist, this has been done and after more x-rays and an MRI scan I was told that my cartridge was worn but not damaged in a way that would benefit from surgery, I was given a steroid injection that was great for 10 days then started to wear off, now my knee will lock if bent while walking and I find the pain is very bad if I bear any weight on it but the pain seems to be in the tissues around the knee not in the knee joint, My G.P told me that the cause of knee locking is most probably small pieces of cartridge breaking up and getting into the joint what can I do to get rid of this problem as I am approaching a point where I will not be able to carry on with my work,
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
What stands out in your story is no physio therapy.

Physio is essential to prevent the progression of this problem.

This is not a self help situation....vitamins and supplements do not help with this.

Steroid injections are useless without the correct manual medicine program, including home exercises.

I suggest you push to see a non invasive orthopedist, even if you have to go private.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [click reply to expert].
Please to not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry forgot I to mention I had three sessions of physio, the day after the third session I was in a great deal of pain which was the start of a down ward slope to the problem I have now, (I cant blame the therapist but it put me off any further appointments) also the consultant knwe about this and did not ask that I try again

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Physio takes 12 weeks or long, 2 sessions a week.

It is wrong to give up, as this is about your only option other than arthroscopic surgery which would be the next step.

Please to not forget a positive rating.