Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Vomiting, Diarrhoea, high fever, food poisoning.. what to

Vomiting, Diarrhoea, high fever, food poisoning.. what to do?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Hasan :

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

Dr. Hasan :

Since how long you have this?

Dr. Hasan :

How high is the fever?

Dr. Hasan :

How do you know that it is food poisoning?

Customer:

Hi, my husband had tuna sandwich at lunch time, then after a while he felt bloated in his stomach, went for fresh air. Vomited 3 times while at work, diarrhoea as well. Came home, more vomiting and diarrhoea, was shivering all evening. Laid down to rest and now has stomach ache and fever is 38.9

Dr. Hasan :

This all has happened today?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Hasan :

Have you considered taking him to emergency room?

Customer:

no, knowing him, he will say it will pass but I have a feeling that it;s serious. But no extreme vomiting, just high fever

Customer:

i know we might spend a lot of time there waiting then sent home

Dr. Hasan :

What does Mylan contains? Sorry it is french medicine so i have to ask you.

Customer:

it says Domperidone 10mg

Dr. Hasan :

ok

Dr. Hasan :

Has he vomited after taking Mylan?

Customer:

no

Dr. Hasan :

Well thanks a lot for your input.

Customer:

he is not moving much because of fever

Dr. Hasan :

I am sorry to hear about his problem.

Customer:

watching tv:)

Dr. Hasan :

As per symptoms yes this is food poisoning.

Dr. Hasan :

The ideal and best in this situation is to go to emergency room as he may need antibiotics.

Customer:

how often should i give him Dioralyte?

Dr. Hasan :

But since you are here , I will suggest you what to do, if he refuses to go to hospital.

Dr. Hasan :

1. He should eat just BRAT diet.

Customer:

ok

Dr. Hasan :

It means banana, rice, apple sauce and toast.

Dr. Hasan :

2. Rice broth and yogurt is also good for him.

Dr. Hasan :

3. He should drink dioralite as much as he can.

Dr. Hasan :

Specially he should drink it after he passes stool and after he vomits so as to replace the fluid and electrolyte loss.

Dr. Hasan :

4. Over the counter available 2 Tab Tylenol thrice daily should be taken.

Dr. Hasan :

5. Domperidone thrice daily, 30 min before meal should be taken for one day and after that if there is no nausea or vomiting, he should stop it.

Dr. Hasan :

If you feel that he is getting better in next 24 hours, he should stick to the above measures.

Dr. Hasan :

If you feel that problem is persisting, you must compel him to go to doctor.

Dr. Hasan :

But don't worry, he is going to be ok.

Dr. Hasan :

Ask him to take food and fluids frequently.

Dr. Hasan :

Avoiding food intake will make him worse.

Dr. Hasan :

So drink fluids specially dirolite and eat BRAT diet.

Dr. Hasan :

Any question please ?

Dr. Hasan :

Are you with me?

Customer:

he is not hungry and i am making more to drink for him

Customer:

he just said he need time to get over it...

Customer:

thank you for your advise, we will follow it

Dr. Hasan :

He will not feel hungry but you should keep feeding him with BRAT diet and yogurt frequently.

Dr. Hasan :

He will be better soon. I wish him all the best for a good recovery. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer:

wish me good luck, he is so stubborn

Dr. Hasan :

:) I wish you all the best too.

Customer:

thank you doctor,

Dr. Hasan :

But i know you will convince him.

Dr. Hasan :

Welcome :)

Dr. Hasan :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
HI, I was concerned so i thought i should ask that how is he feeling now? Is there anything i can help you with? Regards