Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a friend who had shingles which became infected. She

I have a friend who had shingles which became infected. She has bathed in anti bacterial substances and from the pours of her skin emerged cotton like threads, masses of them. There seems to be some sort of fungus like substance in many areas of her house in carpets walls etc and outside walls as well. It is like a science fiction nightmare but environmental health don't seem interested and her doctor says it streptococcal and has given her a course of tablets which don't seem to have helped. Her dog is also infected and she has had her treated recently. What on earth is happening, we are very worried about her and someone who visited her has now a rash. What should be done please.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--are you talking about mold in her house?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It seems like clusters of small white seed. When she has cleaned they seem to emerge for all sorts of places in her house. I have not seen them personally. She is very frightened.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I understand Graham. Has her house been inspected by the Health Department or a similar agency?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No she has asked for this help but they just said send photos. What is this problem and what else can she do?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Has she considered hiring a professional house cleaner for things like mold and other infectious agents?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This service should be available from invironmental health it seems like an infestation. What about her health situation so far you have not given any helpful information what is the condition she has and what treatment is available. Is it some form of streptococcal?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No Graham it doesn't sound streptococcal at all. It sounds like a mold problem and I was just asking the other questions to see where things stood with the house. She needs specific medication--Diflucan and Singulair--to clear her physical problem and she needs to see an Infectious Disease MD specialist. That said, unless her house is properly inspected and treated, this can recur