Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

i used to work in pharmateutical manufacture. some of the

i used to work in pharmateutical manufacture. some of the drugs I worked with were skin sensitisers.
I have on occasion suffered with cronic itchy skin and skin secessions.
could it be that my skin has been sensitised?
the only treatment I have had is antihistomin.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello. How long ago did you work in the pharma industry? How long after the end of your job did your skin issues arise?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I worked in the pharma industry for 23years approx. 3 years at the end of my job these skin issues arose. I did have skin problems whilst I was employed in the pharma industry, however the symptoms are particularly bad at this time.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
I don't think any exposures in your job would affect your skin in this way 3 years after the end of the job. However, our immune systems are vulnerable to changes from exposures throughout our lifetimes. If you were exposed to something that altered your immune system this could alter your immune response to subsequent exposures, even low grade exposures.

That said, the skin is our front line organ-system for protecting us from environmental hazards, whether they be chemical, allergic or infectious in nature. Our skin can change with time in terms of its thickness, the amount of fat under the skin, the blood supply to the skin and the immune system interface with the skin. Your skin issues are likely due to a combination of such factors.

In cases of chronic dry skin (e.g. eczema, chronic allergic dermatitis, xerosis, etc) it is important to avoid hot water as much as possible to reduce the stripping of protective oils from the skin. It is also important to minimize soap usage as much as possible, using only those that are natural or hypo-allergenic and not loaded with lot of chemicals or drying agents. Moisturizing daily with natural conditioners or aloe after shower or bath is essential to keeping the skin healthy and less sensitive to environmental irritants.

You should also consider adding a low potency steroid cream once or twice daily to the patches of skin that seem to be the most dry, scaly or cracking. Taking a long-acting antihistamine daily (e.g. cetirizine) is a good way to cut down on itch and the temptation to scratch the skin.
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience: 20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine