Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hi, Could I have an opinion re. a corneal scratch that

Hi, Could I have an opinion re. a corneal scratch that happened on 6/3/14. The point of a holly leaf which was particularly long, sharp and firm went into my eye as I brushed past in the dark. It was quite a deep scratch on the cornea as confirmed by an optician but didn't go anywhere else in the eye as far as I could tell. There was pain and tears pouring from the eye that night but by morning the tears had eased up and there was no longer pain though my eyesight in that eye was blurred. I checked up with an optician a few days later as the eyesight was still blurred and he confirmed a deep scratch and prescribed lactilube. A week later I went back to the optician and the scar had healed but the eyesight was still blurred. The optician said that dye was showing that the tears are not covering the surface of the cornea properly and there may be a blocked duct causing dry eye but to leave it a couple of months and put in celluvisc drops. He checked and said there wasn't any permanent damage to the eye. It's now nearly 3 weeks since the scratch and my eyesight in that eye is still blurred though objects very close aren't blurred. The celluvisc drops don't make any difference to the blurring at all. The only symptom of blocked duct or dry eye I've had is the occasional scratchy pain first thing in the morning and a little bit of watering but it's only momentary and doesn't continue during the day. This doesn't happen every day and there's no general pain or redness.I should also mention that at the same time as the scratch I had an upper respiratory virus that was causing post-nasal drip. My question is - should I get a second opinion or will this take time to get back to normal? Could the blocked duct be related to the sinus problems with the upper respiratory virus? Thanks

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

you can always get a second opinion from another eye doctor

but what you are describing sounds very reasonable by your opthalmologist.

having an upper respiratory virus as you know can cause all sorts of sinus congestion, runny nose, tearing of the eyes, increased mucous production of the nose and eyes which very well can cause blurriness of the vision

the fact that your close ear vision is not blurry tells me that your cornea abrasion is healing up well and you don't have serious damage to your eye or vision

and that most likely once your upper respiratory infection clears up, your vision most likely will get more clear

does this help?

do you have other questions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr. David,

Thank you for your reply. It's good to know that if the close vision is ok the eye is not damaged. The respiratory virus started quite a while ago (about 7 weeks ago) though I still have some post-nasal drip which is beginning to clear up. The eye is a little scratchy and watery first thing in the morning but that's all.

I still have blurred vision on any object more than a couple of feet away and am wondering how long this could take to clear up and if it's a gradual return of vision or sudden improvement? Does a blocked duct/dry eye clear up without treatment?

Are there any eye drops that might be more effective than the celluvisc which didn't help at all?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
most likely you will have a gradual return of clearer vision as the mucous in your eyes clear up from your prior infection.

you also could be having Blepharitis which is an inflammation of the eye lid and can result in blurry vision

you can read more here

https://www.aoa.org/patients-and-public/eye-and-vision-problems/glossary-of-eye-and-vision-conditions/blepharitis

you can try warm compresses on your eyes and see if that helps.

also you can try scrubbing baby shampoo on your upper eye lid in a hot shower and then rinsing it out and see if that helps clear up the blurry vision.

many eyes use of eye liner and make up can clog the pores of the upper eye lid and cause blocked ducts and this can affect vision as well

try these techniques and see if they help

best of luck to you

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the information. I don't think I have blepharitis as I have none of the symptoms listed but I will try the warm compresses on the eyelids. Can you recommend any eye drops that might be more effective than the celluvisc drops, eg. more oily drops or will they block ducts more? I need to improve my vision quickly if at all possible.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
I would not try any other eye drops at this point until you see your eye doctor again.

I hope the warm compresses help.

thanks for using JustAnswer.com
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician