Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

is my anti depressant fluorexine making me gain weight

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--how long have you been on it and how much weight gain over what period of time? Have you changed your diet at all? Any other medical conditions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have been taking it for the last five years and have put on at least 28 ilbs

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Angela but is that weight gain just recently and again, have you changed your diet at all and do you have any other medical conditions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
still waiting for an answer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no not recent i have been at this weight for some time i also take statins because of a family history of heart disease, i am worried the weight gain is not healthy and my bmi is too high

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Please be patient Angela since to give you the best answer I need more information. If you need more information after this, please just let me know. Yes, fluoxetine can cause weight gain, either by increasing appetite or by lowering metabolism. If you've tried to lose weight with proper dieting and cutting calories and that hasn't worked then it could be the medication but it could also mean low thyroid function. That needs checking first before you might consider either coming off the fluoxetine or switching to something like Effexor which has less of a risk for causing weight gain.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is ef fexor called a different name in uk and what other symptoms come with low thyroid function

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.

Yes it is--same name but the generic is venlxafine and other symptoms of low thyroid include fatigue, feeling cold when others feel fine, thinning or brittle nails, constipation, thinning hair, and dry skin but someone who is low thyroid may only have weight gain and nothing else. If your TSH level isn't well below 3.0 I would consider you low thyroid