Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Ive been clenching my teeth in my sleep for the past few nights

I've been clenching my teeth in my sleep for the past few nights and now my jaw is really aching and I'm worried I might break a tooth tonight! Is there anything I can do to prevent me from grinding/clenching my teeth tonight if I don't have a mouth guard? I'm a bit scared to sleep...
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.

Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today. Yes, go to a drugstore and pick up a mouth guard. You can get one for about $15 at most drug stores and they are over the counter. They are not hard items to find.

Dr. K. :

Avoid alcohol and caffeine since this increases grinding.

Dr. K. :

Relax at night by using over the counter Benadryl or Tylenol pm as an over the counter sleep aide.

Dr. K. :

Hope this helps

Customer:

Thanks. Unfortunately I was asking because it's 11pm here and so I'm not able to get a mouth guard.

Customer:

Might try some Sominex though to see if it'll help me get a better night's sleep.

Dr. K. :

You can also try a warm cloth to your jaw to relax your muscles. If you have any benadryl on hand it may work. Sominex will do the same thing and should be effective to help with the grinding.

Customer:

OK, thanks. Fingers crossed!

Dr. K. :

Have a good sleep