Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

been to doc for a musuc cough,antibiotics for 5 days.500mg

been to doc for a musuc cough,antibiotics for 5 days.500mg three times a day.but I,m still coughing which now sounds like a whistle coming from my throat.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
What diagnosis was made?
Did the doctor say that you had bronchitis?
Have you taken anything for the cough?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

doc never said,just that I needed antibiotics.taken cough bottle bought over the counter.

Which over the counter cough medicine have you been taking?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

pavacol d

Thank you for the further information.

There are a few issues to consider in this situation.

The first issue is what type of infection is present, as this will affect the decision making about the other issues. The most common infection to cause these symptoms would be a bronchitis, but also could be related to a sinus infection or an infection of the lung itself.

If symptoms persist or worsen, there should be consideration that the amoxicillin is not adequately treating the infection. The amoxicillin is a good first-line antibiotic, but there is no antibiotic that will work for every possible germ that would cause each type of infection. If the symptoms are getting worse or are not improving after a few days of antibiotics, then it would be appropriate to consider a different antibiotic, such as azithromycin or cefuroxime. When the antibiotics are first started, there may be some worsening for the first 24 hours, as the antibiotic does not work instantaneously, but afterwards, worsening symptoms would be worrisome.

Lastly, it would be appropriate to use medicines to try to relieve the cough and mucus. There are several different options to consider, but did not want to recommend a medicine that has already been tried. The Pavacol D is a cough suppressant. Since this is not controlling symptoms, then it would be appropriate to try a cough medicine that works by a different mechanism. Of the over the counter medicines, a medicine that helps the body expel the mucus, such as guaifenesin, and/or a decongestant would be appropriate. There also are prescription inhalers that may help ease the symptoms, such as salbutamol.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

I do not see that you have received or reviewed the answer that I provided above. Sometimes, the notification system fails, so I am placing another post to prompt the system to send another notification. My answer is as above. If you have any further questions, please let me know.