Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Hi I was in America last autumn, I had unprotected Sex, I had

Hi I was in America last autumn, I had unprotected Sex, I had no signs of an std, but some like hiv might not show, I got cellulitis from a mosquito bite and the doctor out there did blood tests and they came back clear, is this enough or would you have to get a blood test specifically for hiv
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

How long back this incident(of unprotected sex) happened, Has 6 months been passed?
When did you got cellulitis?
Did you had unprotected sex once only in America?
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Only once unprotected about the 2nd last week in September , I got cellulitis around 2 or third week in October, my forearm was very swollen where the bite was, I was on an iv drip, they cut open the arm where the bite was to drain out the puss, they did blood tests and they came back clear,I am on no medication, I was on antibiotics around 28th December for a sore throat, nothing since,

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I can understand your concern.

According to studies-
When a man has only one unprotected sexual encounter with a women infected with HIV, then the the risk is quite low, about 1 in 200,000 but of course the risk is not zero.

It should be noted that Numbers and percentages really are just guidelines. Infection can and does occur after one unprotected sexual encounter.

In your case, chances for getting HIV are very very slim.

As such, there are specific test to check for HIV. Routine tests doesn't check for specific hiv antibodies.
I can understand, that you got cellulitis, in October, This has no relation with HIV. No need to get panic.

The period of time between HIV infection and the production of antibodies, in the blood is called window period. It is different for different disease.

For HIV the window period is 3 months, it means a test before 3 months, of exposure may not give accurate results.
And A negative test at three months will almost always mean a person is not infected with HIV.

And If an individual’s test is still negative at six months, and they have not been at risk of HIV infection in the meantime, it means they are not infected with HIV.

To be honest, Chances of getting HIV after just one exposure, are very very slim.
Still, for peace of mind, you can go for HIV antibody test.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Hello.
How are you doing?

Let me know if you have any more follow up questions.
Thank you and take care.
Dr. Robert