Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

i have a bit of a paranoia with hiv and was wondering if my

Customer Question

i have a bit of a paranoia with hiv and was wondering if my total lymphocyte count increased from2.54x10/9 to 2.81x10/9 six months later would this suggest i am hiv negative thanks
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

These values are completely normal and are reassuring that you do not have HIV, particularly not a later stage of HIV, but the total lymphocyte count is not a sensitive indicator of early HIV infection. Even the specific type of lymphocyte that is primary affected by HIV (the CD4 cells) is not always affected early in the course of HIV infection.

In addition, when the CD4 count is affected, the total lymphocyte count may be normal, because the CD4 cells are only a fraction of the total lymphocyte count.

Therefore, in any situation in which it is important or desired to know whether someone has HIV, it is recommended that an HIV test be done. Any other test or pattern of symptoms is not anywhere as reliable as the HIV test. It is true that there is a short period of time between exposure and when the HIV test is first positive, but each generation of HIV test is becoming increasingly sensitive, and the current generation of HIV test is so sensitive that the average time until detection of HIV by this test is 22 days. It is also appropriate to perform regular testing, even if there are no symptoms present or any abnormalities on other lab tests.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

I see that the question is still open, but I have not received any follow-up questions.

My goal is to provide excellent service and a complete answer. If any further information would be helpful, please let me know.