DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hello, Mys son is 18 years old he is in grade 12, i took him

Customer Question

Mys son is 18 years old he is in grade 12, i took him to a doctor because he was complaining that he can't focus on studying, Dr said that my san has ADD and he can give him medicine which i refused after reading about the side effects.
Really now he has his final exams and i am facing a big problem as he is complaining all the time that he has no concentration.
Now i read about a natural medicine called synabtol, please advise as i need your help.
thanks a lot,
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
You should not be taking over as your son's doctor.
Tell me exactly why you are doing this....the natural medicine is not proven, and you would simply be experimenting.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I am asking about ADD i need a natural medicine, do you hear of Synabtol
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What do you, you recommend to give him medicines that have side effects

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
All medicines have potential side effects.
All, even natural ones.

Most people do not get them.

And, the physician monitors for these.

If you want natural treatment, do NOT guess.
find a doctor that is trained in this and measures what his deficiencies might be.

Synabtol has a combination of homeopathic remeidies, a shotgun approach and is not likely to help at all.

Make sense?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What i understand, not to bother to get Synabtol.

I live in Jordan, and i can not find a specialist for ADD.

The doctor i saw he is encouraging me to give him medicine, but still i am not convinced after reading the side effects.

i am looking for natural medicine, do you have any idea ??

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I have explained this to you, but perhaps I can explain it in a better way.
Side effects are only a potential; that potential can be monitored.
The ADD medication will work; anything you do is not likely to work.
Natural treatment requires a lot of lab tests and exam to figure out what someone might need.
And, the substances used can also have side effects and must be monitored by a professional.
There are at least 6 subtypes of ADD, it is not one disease, and each subtype might require a different approach.

For homeopathy, you need the correct single remedy, which is discovered by careful history, exam and analysis by a classical homeopath. This can work, but takes time and effort. Maybe a number of months.

As far as general measures that can help

See this article

http://www.naturalawakeningsboston.com/MIDS/September-2012/Attention-Deficit-Disorder-A-Functional-Medicine-Approach/

If you can find a functional medicine doctor, that would be ideal.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].