Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Are there psychologists and psychiatrists in UK NHS hospit

Are there psychologists and psychiatrists in UK NHS hospitals?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.

Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

Yes there are psychiatrists and psychologists available- in nhs hospitals, in the community ,and in specialized units. What is your question? Ill try to help

Customer:

I think i am suffering from depression and I want to seek psychological help

Dr. K. :

Ok I have that info. Give me a minute

Dr. K. :

1. As with most aspects of your care, you must start with your GP first. After an initial assessment your GP may start you on medication and a counseling plan.

Dr. K. :

2. If your Gp feels, its necessary, or you request it. You might move to step two. This is a CPA or care plan approach and its for those who need more specialized services.

Dr. K. :

3. In a CPA, there is first an assessment of your needs and a care plan is developed. Then a care coordinator is appointed to monitor your care on a regular basis. Reviews are done periodically.

Dr. K. :

4. For those with serious medical/psychiatric illnesses hospitalization is available, this may be in a regular NHS hospital with a mental health area. It might also be in a secure unit for those patients who are more ill.

Dr. K. :

I hope this gives you a good start, make an appt with your GP to get started.