Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I would like to know what causes a pain in chest and back when

I would like to know what causes a pain in chest and back when I cough it is only on the right side
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--How long has this been going on and where exactly on the right side? Any fever or tenderness to the chest wall there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Pain on right side above breast and just down the side of back. Started about 8 days ago and has got worse.what I do know is that my back does not like pressure put on it.especially if I lean on iron the right side.hope this is helpful
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Margaret--all I can do here is give you the possibilities but this definitely needs to be evaluated by a doctor and as soon as possible. If you're having a cough, then it could be pneumonia, but it also could be a pulmonary embolus from a clot in your leg and that can be life threatening if not treated. It might be a disk problem in your thoracic spine so I would get an MRI to look for that. And it could be from a gall bladder problem probably from gall stones so I would get a ct scan of your abdomen to look for that. You also need blood work and a chest x-ray. Sorry I can't be specific here but I am very concerned about this and if I were your doctor I'd have you come into the office right away