Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi, Im male(63) and I went for a screening to check my circulation,

Customer Question

Hi, I'm male(63) and I went for a screening to check my circulation, carotid artery etc - all fine. But the nurse saw a nodule on my thyroid - just the one. I can't feel it and I'm getting no symptoms. I feel fine. As it happens I'm having my annual blood tests this week and thyroid function is included. I will tell my GP when I get the results but how worried should I be? (I'm a worrier - but I have also had cancer twice. Testicular and prostate.) But no history of anything thyroidal in the family.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--can I ask if you have any other medical conditions or take any medications?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No other medical conditions. I take rosuvastatin 10mg daily. This is all.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Paul. This probably isn't anything too serious. 95% of thyroid nodules are benign and most of them are benign cysts, but of course there's the 5% that are cancer. Even if it is cancer, most thyroid cancers are completely curable just with resection of the one thyroid lobe. You need an ultrasound of the thyroid, the thyroid function tests of course, and you may need a fine needle aspiration and a nuclear thyroid scan to better evaluate the nodule
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi again

I read that a solitary thyroid nodule, especially in a male, ups the cancer risk. Is this so. And is it also possible that the ultrasound might not have picked up other nodules?

I going on a big trip for most of May. Should I be thinking of cancelling or might I do the tests in April then resume in June? As I said I am symptomless and only picked this up by chance.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Not really--there is a risk but in general these are totally benign, but. of course, there is no way to tell right now Paul. No--don't cancel right now because the workup, and even surgery if that's indicated, can be done well before that or if surgery is needed it could be done in June.