DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My friend is very distraught. He went to Asia for holiday almost

My friend is very distraught. He went to Asia for holiday almost 8 months ago whereby he came back extremely unwell. He was lethargic, always tired, found it difficult to breath, felt awful, which stressed him out in worry. His local Dr said it was allergies and his lungs were viral infected. He slowly very slowly got a little better, thought he came right 8 months on and suddenly hit with it all again. However is stressed and I believe showing anxiety. He is in disbelief by the Drs as he has not recovered to any extent to 100% and is highly now frustrated. Location of living is in a dust environment country. What advice can you give? I'm exhausted don't know how to help my friend as it is affecting him mentally life or living. Thank you. Concerned friend.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Your friend should go back to the doctors for follow up and ask to see an infectious disease specialist.

To make sure he does not have a parasite, malaria, etc.

You have not said that he has seen any specialists, which is what he should do now.

If it is a lung problem in stead, then he would most likely need correct treatment, but you are not giving me any diagnosis to go on.
Asthma can be undiagnosed, so he would need what is called pulmonary function tests to see if he has this type of lung problem.
This would be done by a pulmonologist or allergist.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. He shows no sign of asthma wheezing at all but difficulty breathing if that makes sense. He ran lots of tests for his heart as an example and underwent allergy tests, for which they say just allergies. But I don't think he was or went to an infectious disease specialist, which I will now check. Sorry, I can't give you any information on what was done for his/on his lungs, but that he said it's his lungs again it's back. He just continually says he feels awful, and gets frustrated... towards me, but I don't know what advice further to give him, as he has done everything by returning to Drs here in the Middle East and his home country UK. They ran lots of tests, and told him it was viral and his recovery will be long, but now it's 8 months on, he, I thought he was getting better but it suddenly came on n he feels it's at 75% health n of now back down to where it started 8 months ago. He blames the dust here but... Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX try n next get him to an infectious specialist...
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome anytime
Any questions.