Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My father has pain in his left foot, his toes go numb. His

My father has pain in his left foot, his toes go numb. His left side of body then goes numb and he gets pain in arm travelling to chest. What is causing this?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Since how long this has been going on? Does he feel any tingling in his arm, legs etc? Does he has any diagnosed medical problem? Any tests done so far? which pain killers he has tried so far? Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi I just have him on the phone. He said the pains in his arm going to chest. There's no tingling but the pain starts in his foot first which triggers pain in arm and chest. This started over a year ago and he went hospital did tests and made him do exercise but said arteries are fine. Painkillers used are paracetamol. He said body not numb just toes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He has no diagnosed medical problem. His blood tests have come back clear.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about his problem. Numbness anywhere in the body is due to nerve compression or inflammation. As per pattern of his symptoms, the likely cause in his case is nerve compression in his spine. It seems that the problem lies in whole spine. This can be nerve related disorders like multiple sclerosis. This is just a possibility which should be explored further. For now, I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations he can use OTC tab aleve twice daily because it is a stronger pain killer and anti inflammatory. Paracetamol is a weak one. He should also use any OTC multivitamin tablet which contains vitamin B 12 as it is good for nerves. There is nothing that is related to his heart. He should visit a neurologist and should get MRI of the brain and spine to get to the cause. Blood tests are not sufficient to make a diagnosis in his case. I wish him good luck and that he gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. Just wanted to ask how is this related to the spine and and how serious is this? I am worried that he gets pain in arm and chest - could this cause heart attack or stroke?

He is a taxi driver so sitting down most the day too and when this happens he sweats. He doesn't use that foot as automatic vehicle but needs to keep shoe off due to pain. He also has to remove dead skin regularly to help ease pain.

Could this be linked to anxiety at all?

In hospital he was made to do exercise on machine with wires attached to him monitoring his heart but it was ok.

Please let me know if there may be any other potential causes/diagnosis

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks lot for your input. No this can't be heart attack or stroke. Heart attack or stroke never start from toes. His normal tests also mean that heart problem is out of question and stroke is also not a possibility here. It can be related to spine because the nerve supplying out arms, legs, foot etc pass through spine. If there is a problem or disease in spine, the nerves can get compressed and inflammed and can cause pain and numbness. Anxiety can also present like this but we can only label the symptoms to be related to anxiety after ruling out other possible causes. Similarly in his case he needs MRI of spine before labelling him with anxiety. I wish him good luck and that he gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.