Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Hi late last year I started taking Sertraline at 50mg.

late last year I started taking Sertraline at 50mg. After a couple of weeks I started feeling a lot better but was still experiencing some periods of anxiety. My doctor advised that I should go up to 100mg which I did. Although this took the anxiety periods away I started to feel more like I was before I started taking the Sertraline. She then suggested that I go up to 150ml but after nearly 2 weeks I am feeling as depressed as ever.

My question is, can taking a too higher dose actually make you more depressed?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Yes it can. Absolutely

I would recommend going back down to 75. That seems like it might be the magic dose.

I'm sorry you are feeling so bad
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When you say 75 did you mean 50 which was my first dose. However I was still getting bouts of anxiety on this dose so I feel slightly between a rock and hard place. What would you advise?

No I meant 75

50 was too little and 100 was too much

So right in the middle is the best option
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. If I am going down from 150 to 100 and then to 75, how many days should I leave between each decrease?

1 week
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks. I will go and talk to my GP.

You're welcome

Please don't forget a positive. I appreciate it
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)