Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Is this suitable to treat rheumatoid arthritis in the hand

Is this suitable to treat rheumatoid arthritis in the hand?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--first off how was this diagnosed as rheumatoid arthritis and just to me sure--the only problem is a single joint in one finger?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My doctor arranged for blood tests and an x ray of my hand.i think he then said. There were rheumatoid indications in my blood tests.
Yes one joint in one finger and a tenderness in the palm of my hand where it joins my finger.
I cannot close the finger to my palm and the joint locks up after eating when I have been gripping a fork for a time.
I do a lot of sailing during summer and problem is going to make same difficult, painful or uncomfortable.
Liam
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Liam--so what exactly are you taking for this right now and is it not very effective?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was taking the pills Dr prescribed until today , they had no affect in that I did not get any better.
Also the health food diet was supposed to show an improvement after six weeks but has not done so.
Looking for something that will work.
Liam
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Liam The proper treatment for this would be a combination of methotrexate and indocin. That usually is very effective and you might also need to begin with a short course of prednisone. At this point I would recommend you get a referral to a rheumatologist but your doctor could initiate the treatment first