Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My mother has recently passed away, but to my surprise the

My mother has recently passed away, but to my surprise the death certificate that was given to me today states...

Cause of death.

a, Pulmonary tuberculosis

b, Hepatic steatosis,

Left ventricular hypertrophy

My question is should (b,) be stated on a death certificate when it wasn't a swollen Kidney that caused my mothers death. The death certificate states it was TB?

Question 2,

My mother had previously recovered from Pulmonary tuberculosis and was given the all clear by the hospital Doctor who was treating her. Since the Coroner now states that it had returned and became the primary cause of her death... does this mean that there is a possibility of my mother infecting me? Since I was partly living with her through out her recovery (last 6 months)...

… and is there any risk of tuberculosis remaining in the home even after she has passed away. If so what precautions should be taken?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am really sorry to hear about your mother. I will try to address your concerns separately but can you please clarify the question no. 1? Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr Hasan,

Thank you for your time.

Can Hepatic steatosis and Left ventricular hypertrophy have an impact on a my mothers Pulmonary tuberculosis?

I ask because the Coroner states that Hepatic steatosis and Left ventricular hypertrophy had a bearing on my mothers death! even through Pulmonary tuberculosis was stated as the primary cause of death.

(In other words... is it possible for my mothers Fatty liver, and left sided heart muscle... aid her eventual cause of death, which is in the lung?)

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Michael thanks a lot for your input. I will try to address your concerns separately.

Pulmonary tuberculosis can have impact on heart to cause left ventricular hypertrophy. But this can't be your mothers case because her tuberculosis was not advanced and was controlled in her last test as you said. Similarly hepatic steatosis has no relation to pulmonary TB. In my opinion pulmonary TB doesn't seems to be her primary cause of death.

Question 2,

Yes this is possible and you should get tested.

Your home is not at risk of spreading the disease because TB germs can't live outside body for more than few hours. So no precautions required now.

I wish that may your mothers soul rest in peace. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. (This brings me to my point.)

In your opinion, (and I ask just so I can get a possible insight into their professional way of thinking) why would a coroner state that hepatic steatosis was a contributing factor to my mother's pulmonary TB and then state it on the dearth certificate? as written underneath...

Cause of death.

a, Pulmonary tuberculosis

b, Hepatic steatosis

Left ventricular hypertrophy

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your input. Only he can tell that why he said so but in my opinion there is no relation between hepatic steatosis is not linked to pulmonary TB. I wish that may your mothers soul rest in peace. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.