Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi i have been on azathioprine125mg and prednisolone 5mg for

Customer Question

Hi i have been on azathioprine125mg and prednisolone 5mg for 22years and in October 2013 started to feel unwell with headaches. my wbc started to rise and got told its due to the prednisolone. I did not get any better and in feb 2014 the wbc went up to18 and got told i have an infection and given antibiotics.my wbc went to normal and 4 weeks after finishing the antibiotics my wbc is slightly high again and told its the prednisolone.Question could it be something else. cos I have never had a high wbc before while taking steriods
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--did you have any signs or symptoms of any infection at that time? Did your doctor have a particular infection in mind when he gave you the antibiotics?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No,went cos my leg hurt and was bruised and had flu symptons for a week. my concern is that since October I had been feeling unwell with headaches and they did L/P and Mri and all was ok. I kept going to A&E with a fever and flulike symptoms and kept saying no infection high wbc due to steroids.only when I went bk with leg the wbc showed a infection. Felt 100% better with antiboctics. now bk to having raised wbc 4 weeks after finishing

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--has your thyroid function been checked?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes that ok,

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--how high is your white count this time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

12 and having a repeat tomorrow

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--even the flu can raise the WBC so I think in a sense the previous elevation was from an infection and nothing more and since the flu resolves in time, your WBC fell naturally and not because of the antibiotics. For now, a WBC of 12 is not really an indication of another infection but it could be secondary to your prednisolone