Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi Doc, my baby daughter is 7 months today, this morning there

Hi Doc, my baby daughter is 7 months today, this morning there was some blood in her stoel. what would cause this? please help.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Is she having any symptoms associated with the blood in the stool?
Has she had any medical problems?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No symtoms no medical problems but she is teething

Thank you for the additional information.

It is good that she is not having any other symptoms, as that would make a serious condition much less likely.

There are several possible causes of blood in the stool of a 7 month old. It could be due to a small tear in the lining of the anus, called an anal fissure. It can be due to a benign growth, called a polyp. It also can be due to an inflammation of the colon, which can be due to a food allergy or a primary inflammatory condition. An infection of the gut also can cause blood in the stool, although there would usually be other symptoms, such as diarrhoea.

There are some serious conditions that can affect the bowels and cause bleeding into the stool, such as an intussusception, a volvulus, or a strangulated hernia. An intussusception occurs when part of the gut protrudes forward the next segment of gut. A volvulus occurs when part of the gut twists upon itself. All of these conditions can cause local irritation and bleeding, but also will typically cause other symptoms related to poor movement of contents through the gut, such as pain, bloating, nausea, and vomiting.

Although most of the common causes of blood in the stool as the only symptom will heal spontaneously, it is recommended that all children with blood in the stool should be checked to determine the exact cause of the bleeding. In most cases, this can be done electively in her doctor's office, although severe bleeding should be seen urgently.

Until she can be seen, it would be OK to use any of the over the counter medicines designed for soothing a haemorrhoid, as these medicines also would be equally soothing for a fissure. It also is important to maintain fluid intake for hydration.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

I notice that the question is still open, but I have not received any follow-up questions.

My goal is to provide excellent service and a complete answer. If there is any further information that would be helpful, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.