Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am peri menopausal and struggling big time. I have little

I am peri menopausal and struggling big time. I have little concentration, stomach wise I have piles, constipation, wind, gas, abdominal pain do not know what to eat with the rancid tummy. overweight. Have the common cold and just feel awful. want to start a good diet and want to build myself up. can;t enjoy anything. Is there a good supplement you can advise
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
There are several issues to consider in this situation.

It is true that a healthy diet is important. This means a diet that is low in fat and concentrated sugars, and high in fiber, including fresh fruits and vegetables. Since many of your symptoms are gastrointestinal, the fiber in the diet would be very important, and preferably 25-35 grams per day. There is some suggestive evidence that eating soy-based foods, such as tofu, may help ease some symptoms of menopause.

As for supplements, a general multi-vitamin would be appropriate. A calcium and vitamin D supplement will be important for bone health. There are some supplements with concentrated formulations of soy and similar products, such as flaxseed and black cohosh, but taking these naturally occurring substances that act like estrogen in higher amounts make carry some of the same risks as estrogen replacement, so are typically only used cautiously, particularly in women at risk for estrogen related problems. There are some other supplements that may help with menopausal symptoms, such as pycnogenol. Omega-3 fatty acids also may help ease some symptoms and may provide other health benefits. If you are unable to get adequate fiber intake in your diet, then a fiber supplement would be appropriate.

If you have any other questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

extremely basic and I can get that info from any menopausal site for free.

What information are you seeking?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what have I tried everything. Yes high fibre , flaxseeds, all the things like lactulose, bisacodyl etc.

Most of the the probiotics online.

The gastro tract is a massive problem.

i cannot take soya products nor evening primrose.

I have osteoporosis so take multivitamins plus vitamin d .

I guess it is too complex online.

I'm sorry for the delay, but the local weather caused me to temporarily lose internet connection.

There are several considerations at this point.

First, it would be good to perform a more detailed assessment of the amount of fiber that is being taken and ensuring that it is higher in the desired range, i.e., close to 35 grams per day. Many people that think that they are getting a high amount of fiber are not achieving the level of fiber intake that is thought. Regardless of what else is tried, high fiber will serve as a bulking agent.

You have probably already tried a stool softener, such as Colace, and then trying steadily increasing doses of lactulose. I realize that you said that you tried lactulose, but steadily increasing doses of lactulose is effective in most people. It also may help to use an activated charcoal medicine for the relief of gas, such as CharcoCaps.

It is true that there is a limit to what can be advised over the internet, but in those cases, it would be necessary to be seen by your physician for management of the constipation and menopausal symptoms. In women with more severe symptoms, then it may be necessary to consider hormone replacement therapy, although we typically try to avoid or limit the use of hormones in the management of menopause.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.