Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have a constant stomach ache like a constant cramp with a

I have a constant stomach ache like a constant cramp with a feeling of pressure/bloated ness., which has lasted 4-5 hours. No cramps, no air, but feel bloated. I chewed a lot of sugarless chewing gum -2 packets- in 30 minutes, prior to having this pain. I have emptied my bowels today and I have eaten a small vegetarian lunch, and this evening, a few spoonfuls of rice, took 2 10 mg gastro resistant tablets omeprazole, without result. I then took a panadol again without result. I have a sensitive stomach and I often get cramps and diarrhea when I eat food in countries without excellent hygiene. It also happens in London sometimes when I eat at restaurants. But this pain today is completely different, as I tried to describe it above. I suspect it may have been from chewing sugarless chewing gum. I had the same pain twice recently, it lasted 10 hours and finally it settled without any air, diarrhea or cramps. I will of course go to the doctor next week, but is there something I can take to alleviate this pain tonight Saturday , or tomorrow, Sunday.? Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Dr. Phil, MD :

please enter chat

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi there

Dr. Phil, MD :

I'm Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil, MD :

Can i ask your first name?

Customer: Raymond
Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi Raymond

Dr. Phil, MD :

This is actually quite common

Dr. Phil, MD :

The sweetener in the sugarless gum was probably sucralose

Dr. Phil, MD :

When sucralose is ingested in some people, the gut bacteria that normally digest food make a TON of gas

Dr. Phil, MD :

This causes the bloating feeling

Dr. Phil, MD :

The best treatment for this is a medicine you can get over the counter called simethicone

Dr. Phil, MD :

I believe it is called wind-eze in the UK

Dr. Phil, MD :

Yes, I found it. It is called wind-eze

Dr. Phil, MD :

That will help

Dr. Phil, MD :

Nothing to worry about here. See your doctor when you can and try the wind-eze it should help

Dr. Phil, MD :

you there Raymond?

Customer: Yes thank you, XXXXX XXXXX will go now to the chemist to see if she can find it, but pls tell me does it last so long without causing passing air through bottom?
Dr. Phil, MD :

yes absolutely

Dr. Phil, MD :

This sugar can also cause cramping/gut spasms

Dr. Phil, MD :

This is part of what you are feeling too

Dr. Phil, MD :

I think the wind-eze is going to give you good relief Raymond

Customer: Thank you very much
Dr. Phil, MD :

you're welcome Raymond

Dr. Phil, MD :

any more questions sir?

I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)