Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

HI this is josna.one doubt regarding my baby(5 months old)

Customer Question

HI
this is josna.one doubt regarding my baby(5 months old) feeding ,
I have to go office.I want to feed my baby with my milk ,4 hours gap i want to fill..please suggest me...
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some clarification.
Could you clarify how we can be of assistance?
Are you asking how you can provide your own breast milk to feed your baby while you are at work?
Do you already own a breast pump?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes i want to feed my breast milk my baby while i am are at work

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how many hours we can keep that milk and can feed that milk to baby...directly we can feed or we have to warm, them?

It is excellent that you want to continue to provide breast milk for your baby while returning to work. The breast milk can be ex pressed using a breast pump and stored in a clean capped glass or plastic container. The breast milk can be stored in a standard refrigerator for 5-8 days, although it should be stored in the coldest part of the refrigerator, which is usually deep within the refrigerator and definitely not on the door. If you continuously use the oldest breast milk first, it will typically not come close to the limit of how long the breast milk can be stored. In most cases, the mother expresses breast milk during a break at work, stores it in a refrigerator at work, and is consumed by the baby the next day. If a refrigerator is not available at work, breast milk can be stored in a cooler with ice packs while at work and then transferred to the refrigerator when you get home. Although not done as often, breast milk can also be stored in the freezer for up to 3-6 months.

As for whether it needs to be warm, the answer is no, but it may be preferable to be warm. Some babies prefer warm breast milk, because that is what they are accustomed to, but if your baby likes it cold from the refrigerator, that would be fine.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.