Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have just started to have small nose bleeds in the middle

I have just started to have small nose bleeds in the middle of the night
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Are you having any other symptoms with this?
Do you have any chronic medical problems?
Are you taking any chronic medicines?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Maybe a bit fuzzy headed before bed

no chronic medical I am aware of

not taking any medicines

Thank you for the additional information.

There are several possibilities to consider in this situation.

The most common cause of nosebleeds is due to excessive drying of the lining of the nose. However, this is not a problem that typically gets worse at night. It is more common during winter, because the air tends to be drier, but it usually is not drier at night than during the day. Home environments might be different than work environments if different heating systems are used, but the bedroom is usually not different than the rest of the house.

There are some common causes of nosebleeds that is common to be worse at night. The most likely would be allergies, which can cause inflammation of the lining of the nose that is more fragile and can bleed more easily. Allergies can be worse at different times depending upon what a person is allergic to. A common allergy is to dust mites, and the body is exposed to dust mites more while sleeping, so allergies are frequently worse at night.

Another problem that frequently can get worse at night is acid reflux, the flow of stomach contents into the oesophagus and potentially up to the nose. Acid reflux is frequently worse at night because there is no the benefit of gravity to help prevent reflux while the body is lying flat. Most people with acid reflux will have other symptoms, such as heartburn or an acidic taste in the mouth, so the absence of other symptoms would make this less likely. However, it is possible that acid reflux can present solely with nose or sinus symptoms.

There are many other possible causes of nosebleeds, such as polyps or vascular abnormalities, but these other causes are much less likely.

Although it would require a proper evaluation to determine the exact cause oft he nosebleeds, there are a couple of home interventions that can be tried. It would be reasonable to take a dose of an antihistamine at bedtime to see if it prevents the nosebleeds. It also may help to apply Vaseline to the lining of the nose, which can serve as a lubricant and a protective layer.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.