Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

hi i have a enquirer to make i have been divorced for 6 months

Customer Question

hi i have a enquirer to make i have been divorced for 6 months just yesterday my mates got me an escorts because they see how lonely and changed i was now the escort used condom she put it on her mouth and then on my penis i had oral and vignal sex what is the risk of getting std, hiv as i am very worried if i am at risk
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

The risk of a single encounter is lower than what most people think. We have far more data on the risk for HIV, but it appears that the risk for other STDs is similar. The average risk of transmission of HIV to the male from a single encounter of protected penile-vaginal sex with an HIV positive woman is 0.005%, which also means that 99.995% of men do not get HIV from that single encounter. Oral sex is much lower risk than vaginal sex, so the primary risk is associated with the vaginal sex.

The actual risk is typically lower than this, because there also should be consideration of the prevalence of an STD in the woman with whom you had sex. Certainly, escorts are a higher risk group, but it still usually is not 100% infected. But even in the worst case scenario, in which this escort is infected, the risk would be the 0.005% noted above.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi doc so are you saying that for me to actually catching something is low, when can i get my self tested for std and hiv i am very scared, i dont want to catch hiv because of a stupid mistake and it is making me worried i couldnt sleep last night thinking about the whole thing

Yes, this would typically be considered a low risk, although it would also depend upon the level of risk that the individual is willing to accept.

When you can be tested would depend upon the specific germ. The germs that can be directly detected, such as gonorrhoea and chlamydia can be tested in 1-2 weeks, but the germs that need antibody testing take longer for the tests to be accurate. The average time until the HIV test is positive is 22 days, but reliable testing will take 3 months, as that is the point in time at which a negative test is reliable.

The current recommendations are that people do not need testing after each single encounter of sex, but rather that people that regular annual testing is appropriate. However, you can schedule this year's screening to occur at the point in time at which it would be reliable, which would be 3 months after the encounter.

I notice that this question is still open, but I have not received any further follow-up questions.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service and a complete answer. If there is any further information that would be helpful to you, please let me know.