Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

5 days ago i woke up and had pains in my back my breathing

Customer Question

5 days ago i woke up and had pains in my back my breathing was ok but i had a burning pain which felt like trapped wind i took gaviscon and went to pharmacist and he gave me windeze after a couple of days the pain has gone . I have had just fluids for three days. I am ashtmatic but have not had a serious attack for a few years. My chest feels a bit saw
I have also taken paracetamol. Could i have had an attack in my sleep or could it be virol?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

Actually, there are several possibilities in this situation, and they are not mutually exclusive. It certainly is possible that you could have had a primary asthma attack in your sleep, but since you have been doing so well for a couple years, it is more likely that it was something other than a primary asthma attack. It could be a viral infection, and the viral infection could cause a secondary asthma attack.

Another common problem that can arise at night and present like an asthma attack is from acid reflux, where the stomach contents flow backwards up the oesophagus and can irritate the lungs. In this situation, it can present similar to an asthma attack, or with cough, chest pain, burning, nausea, or vomiting. Acid reflux is also frequently exacerbated while asleep because gravity helps prevent reflux except when lying down. The fact that you also had the burning pain and the sensation of trapped air, it is most likely that this was due to acid reflux.

Although it would require a proper evaluation to determine the exact cause, it is reasonable to take an over the counter medicine to suppress stomach acid, such as Zantac, Prilosec, or Prevacid. It is fine to also take the Gaviscon and Windeze. If these interventions lead to resolution of symptoms, then there is no need for further evaluation or treatment.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

I do not see that you have received or reviewed the answer that I provided above. Sometimes, the notification system fails, so I am placing another post to prompt the system to send another notification. My answer is as above. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Which over the counter medicine would you suggest as the most effective ?

The Prilosec and Prevacid are the most potent and the most effective. They are in the same drug class and are equivalent.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your advice

You're welcome. I hope that everything goes well.