Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My is quite bloated and I can feel it from the outside.

My anus is quite bloated and I can feel it from the outside. Is this a haemorrhoid?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It is most likely a haemorrhoid, but there are a couple of other possibilities.

An anal fissure is a small tear of the lining of the anus and can get irritated and swollen.

It is also possible to get an infection that starts in the anal glands and forms an abscess that can present as swelling around the anus, called a peri-anal abscess. This is much less common than haemorrhoids or anal fissures, but is the problem that is the most concerning, as it will typically require drainage and antibiotics. All of these problems can cause pain, but the pain with an abscess is typically more severe. So if there is more pain, it would be appropriate to be seen. Otherwise, it would be OK to use an over the counter haemorrhoid medicine, which may help both haemorrhoids or anal fissures. Any of the over the counter medicines are fine and different ones work better for different people.

If you need any clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do i then tell whether it's a haemorrhoid

There is no definitive method for confirmation at home; it would require an examination. If you have a family member or friend that can perform the examination, it could be done at home, but most people need to see a physician. Actually, most people probably assume that it is a haemorrhoid and try to treat it first and only see a physician if the problem persists.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is a burning sensation on it

Any of the above problems can cause a burning sensation.

I notice that this question is still open, but I have not received any further follow-up questions.

My goal is to provide excellent service and a complete answer. If you desire any further information, please let me know.