Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Hi there. My 82 year old mum who has a compound fracture due

Customer Question

Hi there. My 82 year old mum who has a compound fracture due to osteoperosis, has been in a lot of pain recently. After a visit to a & e a couple of days ago, she was prescribed a course of codeine 1 four times a day. Initially that was great as the pain completely went, but now two days later she is unable to get out of bed as her legs are totally wobbly. I noticed yesterday that she seemed weeker so we stopped the codeine from 3pm. Do you think it could still be in her system as she is sleeping a lot. She was also prescribed an increase in her pregabilin from 75mg 2 times a day to 150mg 2 times a day.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. How long she is sleeping in 24 hours? What are her other diagnosed medical problems and on which medications she is on? Is she otherwise well oriented in time, place and person? Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She has early dementia, she has am irregular heartbeat, she had a mini stroke about 6 years ago so she is on statins, aspirin, and a few more which I will now find out for you and be back ASAP. She has been in and out of sleeping in past 24 hours. She sleeps for an hour or so then wakes up for a few hours.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your input. How many hours before she took last dose of codeine? Is she well oriented in time, place and person? How is her pain now? Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She is totally with it on herself and she took last codeine at 3pm yesterday. Other than that her last dose of 150mg of pregabilin was at around 8.00 am today Her pains are slowly coming back in her back as obviously we have stopped the codeine for now but its the lack of life in her legs that is what I am concerned with and if this is linked to the codeine
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Jill thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your mothers illness. Codeine gets out of the system in for 3 to 4 days. Specially when given with pregabalin, the effect of codeine increases and can result in more drowsiness. The lack of life in legs can be due to codeine but it can be part of some other illness as she already has many other diagnosed medical problem. Only examination by a doctor can determine the cause of her feeling so i would strongly suggest you to visit emergency to get an evaluation done. Even if it is due to codeine, still a visit to emergency is necessary because her doctor can change her medicines to keep her pain free. Suppose if for any reason, you can't take her to emergency then you can try over the counter tab aleve twice daily. If this resolves the problem in next 6 hours, you can continue, otherwise emergency visit is suggested. I wish her good luck and that she gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
. We have arranged for a doctor to come out and see her today just to check If there's a problem. Can I still speak to you before then if there is any problems?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Jill, yes you can contact me any time on this page. You can do this even if you rate my answer now. You have very rightly arranged a doctor. She is in old age and at this age, things go wrong quickly so it's best to be safe. My prayers and best wishes are for her. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you do much for all your help!!! Doctor said she has a very bad water infection, which he has given antibiotics, and said to stop the codeine. Very grateful for your advice a d you were right to get a doctor out as it could have got a lot worse.

Jill
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
You are most welcome Jill. You acted right at that time and I am glad that your mother got treatment in time and hopefully she will be fine soon. My prayers and best wishes are for her. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Much appreciated dr! Will do it right now
many thanks

Jill
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
You are always welcome dear.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You gave me the help and support I needed when I was truly worried she had become paralysed. She can at least stand up now although can't walk yet as still wobbly. Perhaps the antibiotics are already kicking in. I will use your advice with future problems.

Thanks again

Jill
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Jill you can't imagine that how happy I am to know that I was able to help you. Don't worry she will be fine very soon. Please feel free to contact me any time. Regards