Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

I suffer with glaucoma. I am 63 female. I have been on xalacom

I suffer with glaucoma. I am 63 female. I have been on xalacom since I was 47 years old. 5 years ago came to live in the Philippines and my dr here put me on adopt in the morning , also lunchtime and evening along with xalacom. Iam having problems with Infections. I was told that I would need extra medication as I age. But she gave me this all at once. I want to know if I cut down on the medication ,now that my eyes are used to it,if my pressure will go up. I feel so sad . Never had problems in uk. Regards XXXXX XXXXX I get a second opinion ?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

It is likely that your Dr put you on the additional medication along with the Xalacom because your glaucoma was not controlled. If you stop it or cut down on it, your pressure will go up. This is not what you want.

Eye infections are more common with glaucoma. They are also more common as you age. Its always helpful to get a second opinion to set your mind at ease any time you are not totally happy with the care you are receiving.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My previous doctors were very happy with my pressure at 18. But the doctor here wanted it to be10, which is highly unlikely. I had a bad reaction to allergen she prescribed for me . Big gash marks under both my eyes. She refused to believe it was the new medication. It took an allergist to persuade her.