Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hello, my Husband is 62 years old, and drinks a lot of white

Customer Question

Hello, my Husband is 62 years old, and drinks a lot of white wine. He does not work and is dependent on my income. During the last few years he has become quite aggressive at times, resulting in police being involved. Lately we were staying at a beautiful hotel and his eyes went cross and he started shouting and threw all my clothes across our room at me, for no reason. He has taken to spending a lot of time naked in bed curled up. He has spent the last few days like this, and then yesterday came down at 5.00pm and started ranting. We live in a small close. I tried to calm him and he shouted so loudly in front of neighbours, then repeatedly banged the front door several times. I locked myself in my bathroom and then he banged the kitchen window open and closed for about ten times. Awful ugly experience for all of us, and I was utterly terrified. He then climbed into his bed and slept until this morning. He knocked on my door and tried to apologise, I explained gently that it is not acceptable to behave like this, and he started using the F and C word, and lost it again! He had only just woken up so could not have been drinking.
Today we went to a lovely local hotel for afternoon tea. His head started drooping to the right as it often does, he kept looking at his hands and wringing them, humming and softly singing to himself, then exclaimed loudly I was a F word C!
I had to remind him we were not at home and other families were present, and then he started about sex! He is hanging the head to the right, does mumble songs, drives erratically, and keeps climbing into his bed. He has stopped washing his clothes, unless I do it for him. Yesterday before the crazy outburst he kept volunteering to electric mow all neighbours lawns!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am sorry about your husband's issues.

Dr. David :

it sounds like he has had some serious personality changes recently.

Dr. David :

this is quite serious and he needs to see a doctor about them.

Dr. David :

and get a scan of the brain to make sure he doesn't have a brain tumor

Dr. David :

and blood work to check to make sure his liver and kidneys are functioning properly.

Dr. David :

he needs to be seen by a doctor as soon as possible.

Dr. David :

does he have a GP doctor he can see right away?

Dr. David :

or you can take him to the A&E for evaluation as well.

JACUSTOMER-oh8tk5ks- : Hi, can a dysfunctional liver etc. have an effect on mind. When he was in hospital they prescribed thiamine 100mg 3 times daily, and vitamin Bcompound strong 120 tabs. He did not take them what was it for please?
Dr. David :

yes a dysfunctiona liver can have an affect on the mind.

Dr. David :

it can cause high ammonia levels and cause confusion.

Dr. David :

thiamine is a vitamin B1 vitamin which can be low in alcoholics.

Dr. David :

alcoholics can have low B vitamins and low folate which is another B vitamin

JACUSTOMER-oh8tk5ks- : THANKYOU so much. Karen.
Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

don't forget to leave positive feedback below

Dr. David :

best of luck to you and your husband.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David :

do get him to a hospital as soon as possible.