Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

A couple of weeks ago I visited my General Practitioner due

Customer Question

A couple of weeks ago I visited my General Practitioner due to experiencing some light twinges in my pelvic/vaginal area...with some lower back pain with no other accompanied symptoms which was put down to a nerve pain that shoots through the the groin area. I revisited my gp about this but by then the pain i was getting which was similar to light period pain had gone but i still had back pain, it seemed to go for a few weeks now the last few days Iv been getting like a period pain feeling again but its minor and doesn't prevent me from doing anything, Iv seen 2 GP's and neither and have both asked me my symptoms and have told me its not worrisom but yet I still feel concerned about this
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Your GP is right, it does not sound worrisome. Back pain can often radiate to the groin and feel like period pain. There are several more serious issues this could be.

1. Pelvic infection, which may be due to an std
2. Bladder infection
3. Kidney stone

All of the above can be ruled out by a simple pelvic exam, swab for infection, and urinalysis. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I see... It's hard to explain but it's more like twinge pain feeling in my vagina... the back pain has eased off now I have been getting regular discharge lately it is clear but it can border from clear to slightly yellow is this serious...

there is no chance of an std as I have not been sexually active in a long time

many thanks

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
that type of discharge is normal and it does not sound like you are at risk of an std.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it was scaring me i know that clear is normal but the yellow was a worrisome for me ...

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
It will often look slightly yellow as it dries. If you have not had sex, you cannot have an std. :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay thank you is it normal to have slight pain twinges in my vagina this often..?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Yes it can be normal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

okay thank you for help I do feel reassured now I just cant help but worry over this im getting this mild pain on a daily basis but just dont know why.

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
You might consider asking for a pelvic ultrasound. This would at least reassure you that there is nothing major going on. :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes I may see into that to put me at ease.. I just dont understand it its very mild but I don't know what it is its just a slight ache that come and go during the day.. the thing is my back pain has worn off now now im just left with this light pain I just keep thinking alsorts

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Its very unlikely to be anything serious, good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

well Iv had this for a few weeks on and off.. and I feel fine and have no other symptoms apart from the discharge which i mentioned

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yesterday I had a persistent pain in my lower stomach/pelvic region which stayed for several hours could this be related at all?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
This type of pain is more concerning than the short pains that dont last long. You should pursue getting an ultrasound.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay do you have any idea to what the course of this may be ..

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Its most likely bowel related from what you say. It sounds like irritable bowel symptoms to me. I think I am the limit of how much I can help you online.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is fine I will pursue an ultrasound in that case. .I just wanted some reassurance in my mind I was thinking that I had something seriously wrong..although if it is ibs can this pain be felt in your lower areaa/vagina

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
great
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

if it is ibs can this pain be felt in your lower areaa/vagina

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Hi I am going to sign off this question. I think we have been over these answers and you have not given any rating. Good luck.
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.

Do you still need help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

A couple of weeks ago I visited my General Practitioner due to experiencing some light twinges in my pelvic/vaginal area...with some lower back pain with no other accompanied symptoms which was put down to a nerve pain that shoots through the the groin area. I revisited my gp about this but by then the pain i was getting which was similar to light period pain had gone but i still had back pain, it seemed to go for a few weeks now the last few days Iv been getting like a period pain feeling again very light twinges... Iv seen 2 GP's and have both asked me my symptoms and have told me its not worrisom but yet I still feel concerned about this.. Iv had slight constipation over the last 2 days

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Were any investigations done to see for the cause?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No Iv just had a urine sample taken..

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
I would consider few causes - Irritation of the bowel mucosa {inflammation, infection - viral, bacterial or parasitic/ allergic}/ infection at bladder or pelvic inflammatory disease/ irritation of the nerve at the spine level/ vitamin deficiency or anemia.

Few investigations like stool analysis/ ultrasound of abdomen/ x ray for lumbar spine and blood tests would give us more answers.

Till than - Ibuprofen, warm compress, Seitz bath should give relief/ have balanced diet, adequate fluid.

Please do not worry, you will be fine.

Best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you so much for your help today and just have 1 more question before I leave a rating my G.p mentioned a nerve pain that go's through to the genital area? I have never heard of this... this was a few weeks ago I had back pain which has shifted now, but I still have these small twinges in my genital area and some twinges around my sides..light aches and now Iv had slight constipation for 2 days.. I am trying to be calm about it but really cant get it out my head that its something serious even though the pain is minor

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Genital region also has nerve supply and hence irritation of the nerve can cause tingling or pain in the genital region too.

I do not think of anything serious at your young age. You need to calm down and give your body time to heal.

Please do not panic. I am sure you will be fine.

Best
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience: Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is a new question

over the last 2 weeks I have been getting this tickle at the back of my throat that therefore right away causes me to cough.. its not a persistent cough that is chronic but It does happen several times during the day... any idea of what this is and do I need antibiotics??

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.

Do you have associated symptoms like pain in the throat/ fever/ breathlessness?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no no pain..just an irritating tickly feeling.. no fever or breathlessness

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
I am happy that there are no associated symptoms.

Mild irritation is likely due to - inflammation/ allergy/ post nasal drip/ infection {viral is most common}.

I do not see a need to go to the doctor. Few things should help - Warm water gargles {with pinch of salt}, steam inhalation/ Motrin and Benadryl should help.

Please do not worry, you will be fine soon.

Best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your help it's just having it daily and for over two weeks it was worrying me, so should I just try what you suggested to see if it improves

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Yes, please try the suggestions given in my prior post. I am sure you will be fine.

Do consider to rate the answer:)

Best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hey there I have took on what you have said about the options you gave me have used one..the tickly feeling seems to have worn off... although on occassions when I go to take a deep breath that's when i do cough,

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Coughing on deep breath may indicate inflammation/ infection at the pleura. I would get a chest x ray to rule it out.

Do consider to rate my answer to the new question if satisfied.

Best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

many thanks im satisfied with the feed back and I will rate now, is this quite serious? im 22

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Mild pain does not worry me. It is not an emergency.

However I would get a chest x ray - may be just for peace of mind.

Best