DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi! I started to fell depressed 6-7 months ago i am 21 years

Hi! I started to fell depressed 6-7 months ago i am 21 years old male good physical condition 186 cm tall 76 kg. I suffered a major trauma when i was a kid 13 years old my best friends father died in front of me , i didn't get any therapy or help.. Now i live alone i left from home ( Hungary ) i live in the UK now. I fell alone, depressed sometimes nothing has a meaning anymore, i cant have good sleep 3-4 hours a day.i started smoking, drinking and i am afraid i am not heading in a good direction. Anny advice what should i do ? Thank you
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
This is a difficult situation and not something for self help.

You need to see your GP and consider an SSRI medication, which treats depression.

Cognitive behavioral therapy is also useful.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok but in the meantime , how could i help fight this loneliness and this feel of emptiness ?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
It is not self help.
There is no over the counter medication.
Your best move is to call the GP tomorrow, since that is a first active step.
Exercise can actually help...it raises endorphens.