Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi, I have two puppies which are 3 months old, they got

Customer Question

I have two puppies which are 3 months old, they got their first Ant-Rabies Vaccine a week back and the next shot (booster) is on next month.

While playing accidentally one of my puppy bit me, there is no bleeding. I washed the would thoroughly. Will I get rabies, do I need to take medical attention?

4 years back I got anti-rabies shot? What should I do now?

Please help

Thanks,
Surya
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Do you know whether these puppies have been in a protected environment?
Or is there a possiblity that the puppy may have been bitten by another animal?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Puppies are in protected environment... At least as far as I know. They are with me from past 2 months. I go out regularly with them for walking only.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

These puppies are not bitten by any other animal

Thank you for the additional information.

The risk of this bite would be extremely low.

First, puppies get antibodies against rabies from their mother, assuming that the mother was vaccinated against rabies. The level of the antibodies from the mother will drop over the first few months of life, but it is really only over the last month or so that the antibodies would likely be low enough that the puppy is at risk.

Second, puppies are usually in a protected environment. To contract rabies, the puppy would need to have been bitten by an infected animal, and it sounds like there has been no real risk for this to have occurred. If you are certain that they could not have been bitten, then there is no reason for concern.

Therefore, there is no reason for concern about this wound. There should be standard wound care, but there is no reason to be concerned about the possibility of rabies. The only reason why there would be any concern that you might be the extremely rare case would be if the puppy got sick over the next 10 days.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX I was scared a bit

You're welcome.