Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

my 10 yr old daughter gets very angry when she goes to school,

Customer Question

my 10 yr old daughter gets very angry when she goes to school, hurling abuse at myself and staff, she also dosnt realise how she goes, she also stabbed her brother with a knitting needle during an argument between themselves, I have to say I am petrified of her, she has been like this since starting nursery and its a constant battle with her. she gets the same at home screaming shouting etc sometimes to the point where anyone would think we were killing her please help
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Sorry to hear all this. May I ask what kind of advisors have you consulted?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she is a parent advisor, that's just helps with hints and tips on positive parenting, she has had a counsellor in school and I have an apt with gp today for a referral to camhs

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Nikki--what happens when you talk to her about her behavior?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she gets cross with herself, or the shouting and screaming can get worse or we go the other way and she is very remorseful but still not sure why she has acted that way,

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I see. So she realizes how inappropriate her behavior is but doesn't seem to be able to control it? How is she doing academically in school and with her friends?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

academically fine struggles to maintain friendships, she can make friends but then fall out with them as quickly. I am just worried as starting secondary school in sept and then the incident with knitting needle occurred and I am so stressed that she could do worse than that

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I understand. How exactly may I help you with the problem Nikki?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

at my wits end just need advice on what could be the cause of all this

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK. Of course I can't interview her to get a better idea of the problem but first off she obviously needs to be evaluated by a child psychologist with an interview and a battery of tests. It sounds to me as though she may be a high functioning Asperger's or perhaps she suffers from bipolar disorder. I really do think, though, that Asperger's is more likely here. That still can very effectively be treated with proper counseling of both her, one on one, and the family as a group. I think that you should understand that this is very treatable and she can be helped to understand herself and her condition. Many times high functioning Asperger patients just feel alone and misunderstood through no fault of themselves or of the people who love them like their family and friends. I would very much like to know what happens with your visit to camhs