Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

In 1997 while playing football, I damaged my right knee through

In 1997 while playing football, I damaged my right knee through some rough challenges from other players. As a result I eventually tore my cartilage Over the next four years I had three arthroscopies on the same knee then I had the head of my fibula bone removed. The reason why I had these operations was that I was getting a lot of pain on my knee which then started in the back of my leg. The location of the pain is the distance of my index finger away from my knee or in the area where the head of the fibula bone used to be.

If I try to sprint, I can reach ten meters then I have to stop. I start limping because I get very bad pain in the area where the head of the fibula bone was. It feels almost like I've pulled my hamstring.

The pain on the back of my leg started before I had the second arthroscopy. Over a 14 year period the pain on the back of my leg has intensified immensely. It know goes into the calf muscles, ankle and foot. It's excruciating and I do not know how to become free from this pain. Every year it gets worse. I've seen a number of reputable professionals such as Simon Moyes, XXXXX XXXXX etc (who used to look after the players from Tottenham Hotspur) but they were unable to fix my problem.

However, at the time (in 2000) The London hospital in Bethnal Green allowed me to use a diathermy machine. (short wave therapy) The treatment lasted for 30 minutes. Afterwards I went outside and ran as fast as I could several times without any pain. Eventually I sourced and bought the same machine that was used at the hospital but unfortunately I burnt the head attachment that was on the machine by selecting the wrong setting and putting to much power through it. It could no longer be used.(the head) The machine is ok and works fine. I was unable to find a replacement for the head. This was the only treatment I received that worked. (I have a curapuls 500 diathermy machine which was purchased in the year 2000 and I still have it)

I'm unable to sleep during the nights and as a result I'm tired during the day. The pain hurts all day and all night which is preventing me from working. I'm 38. I've been using Tramodol 50mg 6 times a day but they have not helped. The Dr has provided Pregabolin 300mg to be taken twice a day but these make me feel drowsie with abnormal walking. I still feel the pain when I take the tablets. I've been using the tablets for two weeks. Prior to that I was using the same tablets but at a strength of 300mg for two weeks and prior to that it was 150mg for two weeks. I've also used Versatis 5% medicated plasters for three weeks which didn't help. (Three plasters at a time)

Can someone kindly advise what my problem could be. I have a feeling that my sciatica nerve might be damaged and is the cause of the pain. The reason why I say this is because if I touch the area on the back of my leg where I feel the pain and push down on it, it hurts. The pain is sever. It's also the same in the calf area. (The whole calf and going down towards my ankle) I also feel a lot of pain just above my knee and to the right of it. I've had a look at a picture of the sciatica nerve and my pain seems to be in the same place where the nerve runs from the lower back to the foot.

I do have lower back pain but this didn't cause any problems when I used to play football back in the 90's. It only started after the 2nd knee operation in 1999 or 2000.

I will be very grateful if someone can advise on a NHS specialist I could see or what options I might have to be able to solve my issues. My Dr does not seem to be able to help me accept supply me with tablets which I do not wish to be using over a long period of time and she has not identified the sciatica nerve as the problem. Her conclusion is that she's unsure what the problem is. I've asked for an MRI scan but she has refused it. She said that could only be authorised by the pain clinic which I shall see again in June. I saw a Dr from the pain clinic last year who suggested I use the Versatis 5% medicated plasters.

Kind Regards
Paul
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Paul,

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Shantal,

I would still like to wait for an answer.

Paul
Hello Paul,

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Hello Paul,

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Were any investigations done to see for the cause except for scopy?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Dr Ken,

The scopy was done to remove the cartilage as a result of the MRI scan which didn't show any other problems. I've had the head of my fibula bone removed which has not made any difference. I've also had many physiotherapy and acupuncture sessions which have all been unsuccessful. The physicians that I saw while under private health care had come to the same conclusion that they do not know what the problem is and couldn't suggest further treatment. The only thing that seemed to work was the treatment from the shortwave diathermy machine which was a curapuls 500 using a single big head.

I purchased the same machine but damaged the head. If you have any ideas where I could perhaps purchase one I could at least use the machine again and see if it solves my problem. Falling that if you have any suggestions on alternative treatment I'll be delighted to here your thoughts?

At the moment I'm using Pregabolin 300mg tablets twice a day. They take the pain down a little but make me feel very drowsy and I get blurred vision. I've been using them for three weeks but I'm still in a tremendous amount of pain. I also use Tremodol 50mg tablets four times a day.
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
I do understand your anxiety.

Was MRI for lumbar spine obtained?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't be 100% certain because it was more than 15 years ago and I had at least three.
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
I would get following investigations - MRI Lumbar spine to look for any pinching of nerve at the spine level. a repeat MRI for knee joint. Color doppler for arteries of lower limb to see for blood supply to the limb. Blood tests to look for vitamin or mineral deficiency.

The spine consists of vertebrae and intervertebral discs {soft tissue cushion if I may say}. The cord or bunch of nerves in simple word passes through the spinal canal {formed by vertebral body in front and ring like posterior part around}. Any bone spur of displacement or bulge of the disc cause pressure over the cord which results in symptoms like pain / numbness / tingling due to nerve irritation. The nerves leave the spinal canal through small rounded openings laterally. Pinching of these nerve roots can occur at this level too.

I would get evaluation from a orthopedic doctor.

Best

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't feel any numbness. I thought the pain might have something to do with the sciatica nerve. I've looked at a chart and I feel pain in the same area where the nerve is located which starts from my lower back going down to the bottom of my foot. If I press into the pain from halfway down my thigh but on the back of my leg it hurts significantly. This is the same for my calf and close to the ankle.

I will be seeing the pain specialist in June again. I've asked my doctor to arrange an MRI scan. She advised that she could not do that because it would have to be recommended by the pain specialist.

I saw the pain specialist last November. He suggested I use Versatis 5% medicated plasters. These were of no help what so ever. I might of well have worn a normal plaster for cuts and bruises for 12 hours because it did nothing to reduce the pain. I seem to be getting no-where fast despite living in a western country .
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Pinching of the nerve causes all or any one of the symptoms - pain/ numbness or tingling. It is not necessary that all the three symptoms are appreciated.

Sciatic nerve also has nerve roots exiting from the cord {at spine level}. I would get MRI Lumbar spine for sure.

I do understand your concern and the circumstances you are in. You may show the print-out of our discussion to your doctor. It may help.

Best
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience: Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Dr Ken for all the information you have provided. I will notify the specialist in June. It's a shame the appointment couldn't be sooner.

Paul